Last modified: 2012-10-04 07:58:55 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 1532 - Interwiki changes
Interwiki changes
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Internationalization (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: High major with 1 vote (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
: patch
: 1611 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks: 40760
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-02-14 20:04 UTC by Mark
Modified: 2012-10-04 07:58 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments
A patch to languages/Names.php (HEAD) (4.43 KB, patch)
2005-03-02 02:11 UTC, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
Details

Description Mark 2005-02-14 20:04:17 UTC
bo (tibetan): bod skad (should be བོད་ཡིག)
bn (bengali): should be বাংলা
or (oriya): Oriya (should be ଓଡ଼ିଆ)
xh (xhosa): Xhosa (should be isiXhosa)
zu (zulu): Zulu (should be isiZulu)
dv (divehi): should be ހިބަސް
lo (lao): should be ລາວ
si (sinhala): should be සිංහල
ht (haitian creole): should be Krèyol ayisyen
dz (dzongkha): should be ཇོང་ཁ"
li (limburgish): should be Lèmburgs
ti (tigrinya): should be ትግርኛ
ii (yi): should be ꆇꉙ
ve (venda): should be Tshivenda
Comment 1 Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason 2005-03-02 02:11:13 UTC
Created attachment 322 [details]
A patch to languages/Names.php (HEAD)

This is a patch to languages/Names.php which implements your suggestions, some
things you might want to confirm however are:

* bn: I changed "বাংলা - (Bangla)" to "বাংলা", is this
really what you want?
* xh: I left it as "isiXhosa"
* zu: I left it as "isiZulu"
* dz: I changed it to 'ཇོང་ཁ' not 'ཇོང་ཁ"' (single quotes
delimit the string), i
  trust the extra " was a mistake on your part and not part of the language
name
Comment 2 Guttorm Flatabø 2005-03-02 08:53:55 UTC
I have duplicated some of these changes in bug # 1611, but not all, so I haven't
marked it as a dup.

I am no expert in this but comparing to Omniglot.com:
http://www.omniglot.com/language/names.htm

You'll find that the names for bn, or and ti correspond, while bo and lo (if Lao
and Laotian is the same) does not correspond, while it has nothing about dv, dz,
ii, li, si.

I have changed severety and priority since these are small languages in little use.
Comment 3 Guttorm Flatabø 2005-03-02 10:28:26 UTC
See also bug # 1544 and bug # 1611, would be nice if you could implement this:

-	'ng' => 'Ndonga',		# Ndonga, (FIXME!)
+	'ng' => 'Oshiwambo',	# Ndonga
Comment 4 Guttorm Flatabø 2005-03-02 10:29:38 UTC
*** Bug 1611 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 5 Mark 2005-03-02 21:33:16 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> I have duplicated some of these changes in bug # 1611, but not all, so I haven't
> marked it as a dup.
> 
> I am no expert in this but comparing to Omniglot.com:
> http://www.omniglot.com/language/names.htm
> 
> You'll find that the names for bn, or and ti correspond, while bo and lo (if Lao
> and Laotian is the same) does not correspond, while it has nothing about dv, dz,
> ii, li, si.

If you could actually READ any of these languages, you'd see that the reason for
that is that Omniglot uses forms that mean for example "Laotian language", which
while proper isn't something you would use in an interwiki link. The form I gave
for those that "don't match" is because they use the adjectival form - like how
we use "English" instead of "English language".

> I have changed severety and priority since these are small languages in little
use.

You are wrong about these languages. Bangla is one of the most widely spoken
languages in the world with over 100 million speakers. All of them except dz:
and dv: have over 1 million speakers, and both of these are the national
languages of independent nations (Bhutan and the Maldives respectively)
Comment 6 Mark 2005-03-02 21:34:51 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> I have duplicated some of these changes in bug # 1611, but not all, so I haven't
> marked it as a dup.
> 
> I am no expert in this but comparing to Omniglot.com:
> http://www.omniglot.com/language/names.htm
> 
> You'll find that the names for bn, or and ti correspond, while bo and lo (if Lao
> and Laotian is the same) does not correspond, while it has nothing about dv, dz,
> ii, li, si.

If you could actually READ any of these languages, you'd see that the reason for
that is that Omniglot uses forms that mean for example "Laotian language", which
while proper isn't something you would use in an interwiki link. The form I gave
for those that "don't match" is because they use the adjectival form - like how
we use "English" instead of "English language".

> I have changed severety and priority since these are small languages in little
use.

You are wrong about these languages. Bangla is one of the most widely spoken
languages in the world with over 100 million speakers. All of them except dz:
and dv: have over 1 million speakers, and both of these are the national
languages of independent nations (Bhutan and the Maldives respectively)
Comment 7 Guttorm Flatabø 2005-03-02 21:49:49 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)
> for those that "don't match" is because they use the adjectival form - like how
> we use "English" instead of "English language".
OK. Good.

> > I have changed severety and priority since these are small languages in little
> use.
> 
> You are wrong about these languages. Bangla is one of the most widely spoken
I meant Wikimedia-wide, not worldwide.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links