Last modified: 2013-10-29 07:39:29 UTC
Created attachment 13197 [details]
Attachment 1 [details]
Visual Editor became quite unusable (possibly) after a recent update in Malayalam Wikipedia. There are several selection, editing and linking problems started to appear recently. Two such problems are described here.
See the example below
1. Copy the following text and paste it in a test page at Malayalam Wikipedia using conventional editor and save it.
ഈ ദുരന്തം ഐറിഷ് രാജ്യാതിർത്തി
2. Edit the page using VE.
3. Change the third word "ഐറിഷ്" to "അയർലൻഡ്". To do that, select the word "ഐറിഷ്" by double clicking on it and type the word അയർലൻഡ്.
4. Now I want to create a wikilink for അയർലൻഡ്. For that, I used shift+ctrl+left arrow. Now, instead of selecting the entire word, A PORTION OF THE WORD WAS SELECTED. See the attachment 1 [details].
5. Select the entire word അയർലൻഡ് using double clicking on it
6. Press ctrl+k. Now instead of popping up a linking suggestion for the word അയർലൻഡ്, THE WORD DISAPPEARED AND LINKING SUGGESTION FOR A PART OF NEXT WORD POPS UP. See the attachment 2 [details]
Created attachment 13198 [details]
Attachment 2 [details]
Sorry for the incorrect attachment links on the above comments. Please correct it if somebody can.
(In reply to comment #2)
> Sorry for the incorrect attachment links on the above comments. Please
> correct it if somebody can.
Sorry, links in comments can't be edited in Bugzilla. :-(
There's code to address this bug in the following patch, which is due to go live by mediawiki.org on 13 September 2013:
Please let us know whether it fixes the bug!
Marking this as "FIXED" on the expectation that it's fixed - please re-open if you find that it is still occurring.
Still facing all the problems mentioned at comment 1
vssun, on which wiki? The patch is only deployed at [[mw:|MediaWiki.org]] right now.
(In reply to comment #6)
> Still facing all the problems mentioned at comment 1
Please always provide clear and exact steps to reproduce (e.g. URL testcase).
Resetting status as I assume that this is fixed on mediawiki.org.
(In reply to comment #7)
> vssun, on which wiki? The patch is only deployed at [[mw:|MediaWiki.org]]
Thank you. The bug is about Malayalam Wikipedia (already mentioned in description)
When will this be deployed in ml.wikipedia?
(In reply to comment #9)
> When will this be deployed in ml.wikipedia?
Assuming that VE is deployed according to the roadmap for MediaWiki: [[mw:MediaWiki_1.22/Roadmap]], September 19. (Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my previous comment :) )