Last modified: 2014-09-24 01:30:36 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 10736 - Parser function to override per-page language metadata
Parser function to override per-page language metadata
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 9360
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Parser (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Normal enhancement with 1 vote (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
Depends on:
Blocks: 35489
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-07-29 11:27 UTC by Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang
Modified: 2014-09-24 01:30 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments
Checks available language codes of Template:Languages to set xml:lang dynamically (388 bytes, patch)
2007-07-29 11:27 UTC, Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang
Details
grab the language code from URL (if present) to initialize $wgContLang (855 bytes, patch)
2007-07-30 18:32 UTC, Ping Yeh
Details

Description Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang 2007-07-29 11:27:15 UTC
Created attachment 3949 [details]
Checks available language codes of Template:Languages to set xml:lang dynamically

Currently xml:lang is set by $wgContentLang only. It's not good to search engines to determine the real content language of a specific page.

The patch checks available language codes of Template:Languages to set xml:lang dynamically. It's particularly important to http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org or other sites used Template:Language.
Comment 1 Ping Yeh 2007-07-30 18:32:09 UTC
Created attachment 3955 [details]
grab the language code from URL (if present) to initialize $wgContLang

This patch file is in the universal format.  Hopefully it is straightforward to apply it.
Comment 2 Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang 2007-08-01 00:26:13 UTC
Please consider patch this to Wikimania sites ASAP, thanks a lot!
Comment 3 Rob Church 2007-08-01 01:11:38 UTC
This patch is far too project-specific and mangles configuration settings according to an apparently arbitrary title pattern. I would not recommend using it.

It seems that a better choice would be some kind of magic word which can be used to override the various language meta tags for a page.
Comment 4 Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang 2007-08-05 15:01:31 UTC
I agree with Rob now since I just found a side effect yesterday. Once we change wgContLanguage, namespaces like Category or Template may encounter problem if they are not in English.
Comment 5 p858snake 2011-04-30 00:09:49 UTC
*Bulk BZ Change: +Patch to open bugs with patches attached that are missing the keyword*
Comment 6 Sumana Harihareswara 2011-11-09 03:07:33 UTC
Barabbas, I've added the "reviewed" keyword since you did get a code review.  Are you interested in checking out current trunk, seeing whether the situation still requires fixing, and trying to update your patch against trunk?

Thanks!
Comment 7 Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang 2012-09-08 02:36:20 UTC
Hi,

I'm afraid that I'm not qualified to check out current trunk anymore since it's been long long time ago.

My apologies.

(In reply to comment #6)
> Barabbas, I've added the "reviewed" keyword since you did get a code review. 
> Are you interested in checking out current trunk, seeing whether the situation
> still requires fixing, and trying to update your patch against trunk?
> 
> Thanks!
Comment 8 Nemo 2013-10-23 20:26:45 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)
> I'm afraid that I'm not qualified to check out current trunk anymore since
> it's
> been long long time ago.

Barabbas, thanks; new patches are always welcome ([[mw:Git/Tutorial]]).
Comment 9 Robin Pepermans (SPQRobin) 2014-05-09 16:16:31 UTC
I'm closing this old bug since:

- The original use case has been solved by the introduction of the page content language and by using the Translate extension, which sets the page content language correctly
- The general need to set the page content language on-wiki is covered by bug 9360, bug 49588, etc. (where most discussion has occurred)

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 9360 ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links