Last modified: 2007-04-27 17:44:23 UTC
I tried to log into Wikipedia today---normally I'm automatically logged in, but
that wasn't working. My browser autoenters my userid+password, but when I
logged in, I was told my password was incorrect. So I told it to email me a new
password. I entered the new password but was still told my password was
incorrect. I tried two different methods to enter the password:
- cutting and pasting
- typing in from the keyboard.
1) Remember that passwords are case-sensitive.
2) Make sure you aren't adding any whitespace to the password.
3) Try on a different computer.
4) Give us your username and the exact site (English Wikipedia?) so a sysadmin
can look at your entry in the database and/or try resetting your password manually.
My Login is InformationSpace. Case was correct (especially when I cut&paste
from the email). It was English Wikipedia.
Surely this is a high priority bug as it completely blocks access to account
You'll have to wait for a user with shell access to look at your account in the
database, I suppose. You can expedite the process by hanging around at
irc://irc.freenode.org/wikimedia-tech and asking periodically, but there may not
be a sysadmin available at any given time.
Offhand there doesn't seem to be anything wrong that I can see with the account,
and I have no trouble logging in myself. Try another browser and/or clearing
your browser's password-saving information.
Clearing the browser's password info wouldn't help when I'm cutting and pasting
the password from email password autogen. I tried to login yesterday and it
didn't work, but when I tried today it worked fine---no more problem it seems.
This is all very mysterious and suspicious... I wonder if there is a security
problem here... Anyway, downgrading priority and severity as there seems to be
no immediate problem any more.