Last modified: 2013-03-10 20:33:13 UTC
Created attachment 11494 [details]
screen shot with the error message
- upload an image
- at "Describe" step enter "test: test" (without quotes) as image title
- "This title contains some undesirable characters. Please remove them." error message appears
- the error message should be more specific about undesirable characters
- for example, the list of undesirable characters could be added to the error message
- this bug is similar to Bug 38303 - confusing error message when uploading a file with filename is not allowed.
The number of undesirable characters can be too long to display with the error message, there has to be a better way to describe what is not allowed. Maybe use tipsy?
The error message could then contain only undesirably characters from the title, not the entire list.
I am willing to fix this but not sure if there is an easy way to do it, waiting for some qualified person to comment. Since most of the checking is based on regexes there has to be a message associated with each of the regex used in jquery.validate.wmCommonsBlacklist
Lowering priority as Title Blacklist is supposed to show "higher-quality error messages" and hence wmCommonsBlacklist is likely to be deprecated.
Setting lowest as Title Blacklist is used on Commons so this error message won't appear now.
I would wait for https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/50953/ to get merged and then find a way to use the message provided by TitleBlacklist to show. Hopefully Validate plugin has something for that.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 38303 ***