Last modified: 2011-09-15 13:59:30 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 29218 - Latin and Arabic scripts together for Azerbaijanian Wikipedia (LanguageConverter variants for az)
Latin and Arabic scripts together for Azerbaijanian Wikipedia (LanguageConver...
Status: NEW
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Language converter (Other open bugs)
1.17.x
All All
: Normal normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
Depends on: 6100
Blocks: 30759
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2011-05-31 15:43 UTC by Vago
Modified: 2011-09-15 13:59 UTC (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Vago 2011-05-31 15:43:10 UTC
Hi, In [http://az.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ana_S%C9%99hif%C9%99 Azerbaijan Wikipedia] has a problem switching to Arabic scripts visually (such as the [http://kk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D1%8B_%D0%B1%D0%B5%D1%82 Kazakh Wikipedia], they have even 3 - [http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=view&group=core&language=kk-latn&limit=100 Latin], [http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=view&group=core&language=kk-cyrl&limit=100 Cyrillic] and [http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=view&group=core&language=kk-arab&limit=100 Arabic]) How do we solve this problem? More accurately as you can to help us? 


The main text on Latinas and Arabic only visually (how the [http://ku.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destp%C3%AAk Kurdish Wikipedia], or in [http://kk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D1%8B_%D0%B1%D0%B5%D1%82 Kazakh wikipedia] Cyrillic is main and the Arabic and latinas are visually)

Copied the script from mediawiki.common.js Kurdish Wikipedia to Azerbaijan. It seems that "az-latn" and "az-arab" need to create a translatewiki.net's and other something.

// Set user-defined "lang" attributes for the document element (from zh)
var htmlE=document.documentElement;
if (wgUserLanguage == "az"){ variant = "az"; }
if (wgUserLanguage == "az-latn"){ variant = "az-Latn"; }
if (wgUserLanguage == "az-arab"){ variant = "az-Arab"; htmlE.setAttribute("dir","rtl"); }
htmlE.setAttribute("lang",variant);
htmlE.setAttribute("xml:lang",variant);
 
// Switch language variants of messages (from zh)
function wgULS(latn,arab){
        //
        az=latn||arab;
        az=az;
        latn=latn;
        arab=arab;
        switch(wgUserLanguage){
                case "az": return ku;
                case "az-arab": return arab;
                case "az-latn": return latn;
                default: return "";
        }
}
 
// workaround for RTL ([[bugzilla:6756]])  and for [[bugzilla:02020]] & [[bugzilla:04295]]
if (wgUserLanguage == "az-arab")
{
  document.direction="rtl";
  document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="'+stylepath+'/common/common_rtl.css">');
  document.write('<style type="text/css">html {direction:rtl;} body {direction:ltr; unicode-bidi:embed; lang:ku-Arab; } html > body div#content ol {clear: left;} ol {margin-left:2.4em; margin-right:2.4em;} ul {margin-left:1.5em; margin-right:1.5em;} h1.firstHeading {background-position: bottom right; background-repeat: no-repeat;} h3 {font-size:110%;} h4 {font-size:100%;} h5 {font-size:90%;}   #catlinks {width:100%;}   #userloginForm {float: right !important;}  </style>');
 
  if (skin == "monobook"){
     document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="'+stylepath+'/monobook/rtl.css">');
  }
}

Sincerely,
Comment 1 Vago 2011-05-31 15:45:11 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> Hi, In [http://az.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ana_S%C9%99hif%C9%99 Azerbaijan Wikipedia]
> has a problem switching to Arabic scripts visually (such as the
> [http://kk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D1%8B_%D0%B1%D0%B5%D1%82
> Kazakh Wikipedia], they have even 3 -
> [http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=view&group=core&language=kk-latn&limit=100
> Latin],
> [http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=view&group=core&language=kk-cyrl&limit=100
> Cyrillic] and
> [http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=view&group=core&language=kk-arab&limit=100
> Arabic]) How do we solve this problem? More accurately as you can to help us? 
> 
> 
> The main text on Latinas and Arabic only visually (how the
> [http://ku.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destp%C3%AAk Kurdish Wikipedia], or in
> [http://kk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D1%8B_%D0%B1%D0%B5%D1%82
> Kazakh wikipedia] Cyrillic is main and the Arabic and latinas are visually)
> 
> Copied the script from mediawiki.common.js Kurdish Wikipedia to Azerbaijan. It
> seems that "az-latn" and "az-arab" need to create a translatewiki.net's and
> other something.
> 
> // Set user-defined "lang" attributes for the document element (from zh)
> var htmlE=document.documentElement;
> if (wgUserLanguage == "az"){ variant = "az"; }
> if (wgUserLanguage == "az-latn"){ variant = "az-Latn"; }
> if (wgUserLanguage == "az-arab"){ variant = "az-Arab";
> htmlE.setAttribute("dir","rtl"); }
> htmlE.setAttribute("lang",variant);
> htmlE.setAttribute("xml:lang",variant);
> 
> // Switch language variants of messages (from zh)
> function wgULS(latn,arab){
>         //
>         az=latn||arab;
>         az=az;
>         latn=latn;
>         arab=arab;
>         switch(wgUserLanguage){
>                 case "az": return ku;
>                 case "az-arab": return arab;
>                 case "az-latn": return latn;
>                 default: return "";
>         }
> }
> 
> // workaround for RTL ([[bugzilla:6756]])  and for [[bugzilla:02020]] &
> [[bugzilla:04295]]
> if (wgUserLanguage == "az-arab")
> {
>   document.direction="rtl";
>   document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
> href="'+stylepath+'/common/common_rtl.css">');
>   document.write('<style type="text/css">html {direction:rtl;} body
> {direction:ltr; unicode-bidi:embed; lang:ku-Arab; } html > body div#content ol
> {clear: left;} ol {margin-left:2.4em; margin-right:2.4em;} ul
> {margin-left:1.5em; margin-right:1.5em;} h1.firstHeading {background-position:
> bottom right; background-repeat: no-repeat;} h3 {font-size:110%;} h4
> {font-size:100%;} h5 {font-size:90%;}   #catlinks {width:100%;}  
> #userloginForm {float: right !important;}  </style>');
> 
>   if (skin == "monobook"){
>      document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
> href="'+stylepath+'/monobook/rtl.css">');
>   }
> }
> 
> Sincerely, Vago vago=vago@mail.ru
Comment 2 Mark A. Hershberger 2011-05-31 15:54:00 UTC
I think this would require a solution to Bug #6100, but I'll ask around to be sure.
Comment 3 Brion Vibber 2011-05-31 18:37:08 UTC
MediaWiki's Kazakh localization includes support for the LanguageConverter variants system, with automated conversion rules between Latin, Cyrillic, and Arabic scripts.

Currently the Azeri localization doesn't have this support set up, so the conversions don't happen even if you hack in copies of the variant selection tabs.


It looks like the script situation here is similar to other languages in the region (for historical geopolitical reasons, the modern speaker community is split over areas using Persian/Arabic, Cyrillic, and Latin scripts though usually the post-Soviet official style is Latin script) and having the conversion working probably would be beneficial for some people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azerbaijani_language#Alphabets

Kazakh (LanguageKk class) does the closest to what's requested, and probably could be adapted. Somebody needs to confirm the conversion rules etc.
Comment 4 Vago 2011-06-01 07:45:54 UTC
Thanks.

That advise, what we need to do that the Azerbaijan Wikipedia was how the Kurdish Wikipedia (Arabic script)?

What should be done then the converter program, or something else? 

Who (and how) did this for the Kazakh Wikipedia? Someone knows about this?
Comment 5 Mark A. Hershberger 2011-06-10 19:07:01 UTC
(replied on this earlier, but I don't see the reply now, so....)

(In reply to comment #4)
> That advise, what we need to do that the Azerbaijan Wikipedia was how the
> Kurdish Wikipedia (Arabic script)?

Get consensus from azwiki that this should be done.  That is the first step.  It will enable me to put start trying to find resources for this.

When and if you can show consensus, then I'll try to find a developer to work on it.  It would be best if you could help find developers who understands both scripts and is motivated to work with us on it.  For example, to accommodate the different scripts on zhwiki (http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-cn/, http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hk/, http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-sg/, http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/) we have a volunteer developer ([[mw:User:PhiLiP]]) who does a lot of the work.

Please let us know when you have consensus for this.  Developers with some knowledge of PHP would be helpful, too.
Comment 6 Robin Pepermans (SPQRobin) 2011-06-22 20:28:16 UTC
Apparently this has been discussed on their wiki in 2009: http://az.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikipediya:Ana_S%C9%99hif%C9%99/%D8%A2%D9%86%D8%A7_%D8%B5%D8%AD%DB%8C%D9%81%D9%87/Arxiv_2009#Latin_to_Arabic_automatic_transliteration_of_Azeri_Wikipedia
and there appears to exist open source software for this: http://azconvert.sourceforge.net/
That could be useful if a converter is made for MediaWiki.
Comment 7 ebrahimi-amir 2011-09-15 06:12:07 UTC
I disagree that "The main text on Latinas and Arabic only visually", because arabik part users don't understand latin script, and don't edit in latin articles. The live in South Azerbaycan and used arabic script for writeen. Thanks
Comment 8 Vugar 1981 2011-09-15 07:36:05 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)
> I disagree that "The main text on Latinas and Arabic only visually", because
> arabik part users don't understand latin script, and don't edit in latin
> articles. The live in South Azerbaycan and used arabic script for writeen.
> Thanks


> I disagree too.
Comment 9 Vugar 1981 2011-09-15 07:37:09 UTC
I disagree too

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links