Last modified: 2005-07-04 13:29:35 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports are handled in Wikimedia Phabricator.
This static website is read-only and for historical purposes. It is not possible to log in and except for displaying bug reports and their history, links might be broken. See T4694, the corresponding Phabricator task for complete and up-to-date bug report information.
Bug 2694 - In 1.5, If translating [[MediaWiki:Ipboptions]] drop-down menu IP blocking doesn't work
In 1.5, If translating [[MediaWiki:Ipboptions]] drop-down menu IP blocking do...
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 1651
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
General/Unknown (Other open bugs)
PC Windows 2000
: High normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
Depends on:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2005-07-04 12:46 UTC by Habj
Modified: 2005-07-04 13:29 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Description Habj 2005-07-04 12:46:08 UTC
I translated the page into Swedish, ''2 
timmar,1 dag,3 dagar,1 vecka,2 veckor,1 månad,3 månader,6 månader,1 år,aldrig''. When after 
this trying to block a vandal using the new drop down-feature, blocking didn't work. I got no 
error message, and it looked like all was well - but the block could not be found in the 
block log, and the vandal continued to destroy pages and spread graffity. Luckily, it was me 
who tried to perform the block; it took me a minute or two to understand where the problem 
was, revert the file to the original version and then perform the block. 

It seems the file at has two functions; it 
serves as both the text that is displayed in the drop down list at, but at the same time it contains the parameters 
that the software understands. Me as a person who went there to translate, I didn't realise - 
OK I had the thought for a split second that maybe this can not be changed, but when I say my 
translations in the drop-down menue at I assumed 
that the file only contained info for the display on that page, not actual parameters for 
blocking. I can easily imagine people at other non-English Wikipedias doing the same mistake, 
but the admin who tries to block not being aware of the translated file that causes the 
problem. In this situation, one easily gets too stressed about the block not working to 
realise that it probably should work to try and write the blocking time manually, as we did 
before 1.5.

Not being a tech person, I am still brave enough to suggest keeping technical parameters that 
look like they can be translated but in reality can not, out of the MediaWiki-pages. Not 
everyone who translates those files is a programmer. I suppose it might take a while before a 
technical solution lets us have the drop-down menu in our different languages. That is IMO 
not so much of a problem, but information about this potential problem should probably be 
sent out to the different non-English Wikipedias that have upgraded to 1.5. For those who are 
not yet upgraded, I think a comment in the file that tells that these parameters can at the 
moment not be translated should do the trick.
Comment 1 River Tarnell 2005-07-04 13:10:40 UTC
this _should_ be translatable, or at least, it's meant to be.  it may need to be  
changed to include the english message as well, something like "1 dag:1 day,3 
dagar:3 days".  i'll try to have a look at this today. 
Comment 2 Zigger 2005-07-04 13:29:35 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 1651 ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.