Last modified: 2014-03-10 13:57:40 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 9429 - Outdated expressions preceeding numeric IDs in Definition: page titles may be confusing.
Outdated expressions preceeding numeric IDs in Definition: page titles may be...
Status: REOPENED
Product: MediaWiki extensions
Classification: Unclassified
WikiLexicalData/OmegaWiki (Other open bugs)
master
PC Windows XP
: Low enhancement with 1 vote (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-03-27 23:44 UTC by Roger Sperberg
Modified: 2014-03-10 13:57 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Roger Sperberg 2007-03-27 23:44:05 UTC
I went to Omegawiki and searched for "ear"

When I got to that page (after the diambiguation page), the heading read:

DefinedMeaning:who (5510)

instead of DefinedMeaning:ear

All of the definitions and synonyms/translations were for "ear".

There's a screen capture of what I saw here:

http://www.mediamax.com/rsperberg/Hosted/omegawiki/who-for-ear.jpg

This duplicated behavior I experienced earlier today. In that instance, I first
searched for and edited the "mouth" page, then searched for and edited the
"nose" page. However, when I was on the page with the "mouth" definitions, it
had a different heading, and when I was on the page with the "nose" definitions,
the heading was
DefinedMeaning:mouth (5471)

This took place this morning. The log says the time was 13:24.

This morning I was using Firefox 1.5.0.11. This evening, I was using IE ver 7.0
(7.0.5730.11.xpsp_sp2_gdr.061219-0316CO), on Win XP SP2.
Comment 1 Roger Sperberg 2007-03-28 00:56:59 UTC
Hm-m. It seems like a bug to me, and I don't see reference to it here. But a
note at Omegawiki indicates this is known behavior, so I guess this is a false
alarm.

Rsperberg
Comment 2 Siebrand Mazeland 2008-10-20 21:51:24 UTC
The id of the DM for "ear" with definition "The organ of hearing, consisting of the pinna, auditory canal, eardrum, malleus, incus, stapes and cochlea." is "who (5510)". I can see how this is confusing, but it is not a bug. DM ids cannot be renamed.
Comment 3 Purodha Blissenbach 2014-03-10 13:57:40 UTC
Reopening since this annoying and confusing "feature" should imho dissapear.

Actually, when linking to "Definition:something_(numeric-id)", the "something" part is required but irrelevant, and can even be empty. What appears on the final page, is also pretty irrelevant. It reflects a piece of edit history.

So, we should find page titles better suited for human consumption on the long run.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links