Last modified: 2009-09-03 14:24:46 UTC
While the implementation of the DjVu viewer on Commons is a good thing in the
first place, it doesn't really work well. This is how it should work:
And this is how other DjVus are not displayed correctly:
These three files were compiled with the same software, and the actual stored
files are perfectly fine when viewed with the browser plugin. But they cannot be
viewed correctly within Commons, since the graphics just don't show up.
Another user has the same problem with the same files, in Firefox 1.5 and IE 6.0
(as discussed at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#DjVu_files ), and since I
could not find any documentation at all about DjVu and Commons (not how it's
supposed to works, no FAQ as to preferable file sizes or file names, none
whatsoever), I am posting it here.
Fixed, as per my workaround on the upstream issue:
Try action=purge on the image description page before reopening or re-reporting
Reopening. In the past two weeks I have come across numerous examples of DjVu files for which MediaWiki is failing to display at least ''some'' pages. Purging doesn't solve the problem, nor does waiting a while.
On Commons, affected files include
* [[Commons:File:Studies in the Scriptures - Series I - The Plan of the Ages (1909).djvu]]
* [[Commons:File:Speeches And Writings MKGandhi.djvu]]
* [[Commons:File:Post-Mediaeval Preachers.djvu]]
* [[Commons:File:JPS1917-The Writings.djvu
* [[Commons:File:Armistice Day.djvu
* [[Commons:File:A complete index volumes 1-25 of Poet Lore.djvu
On the English Wikisource, affected files include:
* [[en:Wikisource:File:Romain Rolland Handel.djvu]]
* [[en:Wikisource:File:Oxford Book of English Verse 1250-1918.djvu
Latest example is
* [[Commons:File:Voyage in search of La Perouse (Stockdale).djvu]]
Purging doesn't fix this. Nor does re-uploading.
This bug is blocking several transcription projects on Wikisource. A workaround or solutions would be much appreciated.
This comes from invalid UTF8 returned by djvutxt when parsing the djvu text layer.
It should be fixed in revision 55768.