Last modified: 2007-12-31 22:12:10 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 8050 - Deleted pages with prefix matching new namespace aren't noticed by namespaceDupes.php
Deleted pages with prefix matching new namespace aren't noticed by namespaceD...
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 10171
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
General/Unknown (Other open bugs)
1.9.x
All All
: Normal normal with 1 vote (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2006-11-27 09:53 UTC by Mark Clements (HappyDog)
Modified: 2007-12-31 22:12 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Mark Clements (HappyDog) 2006-11-27 09:53:03 UTC
I'm pretty sure this issue has been raised before, but I couldn't find a bug for it.

On MediaWiki.org, we have just had a new 'Extension:' namespace created.  I
entered a page 'Extension:Contents' and saved it - and the page does not exist!

I looked at recent changes, and my edit is there, and clicking through takes me
to the edit history for that page, with the option to restore 2 deleted edits.

There used to be a page at this location _before_ the namespace was created,
that was deleted.  Now the edits for the new version of the page are going to
the page 'Extension:Contents' in the main namespace, instead of 'Contents' in
the 'Extension' namespace.

In the short term, is it possible to fix this for that page on MW.org?  In the
longer term, this is a bug that needs fixing (a new namespace should not obscure
existing content, including deleted content).
Comment 1 Mark Clements (HappyDog) 2006-11-27 09:53:36 UTC
Here is the URL of the page history:
http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Extension:Contents&curid=9306&action=history
Comment 2 River Tarnell 2006-11-28 00:57:42 UTC
the page was somehow created in the wrong namespace.  i moved it here: http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Extension:Contents2
Comment 3 bdk 2006-11-28 01:14:57 UTC
... and finally moved back to http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Contents
\o/
Comment 4 Mark Clements (HappyDog) 2006-11-28 03:01:13 UTC
The page was originally created before the extension namespace existed (i.e. at
:Extension:Contents, in the main namespace).

Thanks for fixing the problem at MediaWiki.org - hopefully there aren't any
other problem pages like this (although I have a vague recollection of there
being one other... I'll let you know if it crops up!)

However, I'm not sure the wider problem is resolved.  I.e. that if a page
existed in the main namespace whose name matches a new namespace prefix plus
colon plus title, then effectively this page is uneditable and the content is
lost.  The namespace overrides the original content when viewing, but the
original content overrides the new namespace when saving!

I'm sure there was a bug about something similar when the Cookbook: namespace
was enabled at WikiBooks, but I can't find it via the search function.
Comment 5 Mark Clements (HappyDog) 2006-11-28 18:19:38 UTC
Some further points:

1) I am unable to move :Extension:Contents from my watchlist (doing so removes
Extension:Contents - the old page cannot be removed).
2) I've discovered what the other page was (as it was also on my watchlist). 
:Extension:Skins exists in the main namespace, and will (presumably) cause the
same problems as above if that page is ever created, so perhaps that could be
pre-emptively fixed in the same way as above.
3) I am similarly unable to remove :Extension:Skins from my watchlist (as per
point 1).
Comment 6 Brion Vibber 2006-11-29 22:52:49 UTC
Run namespaceDupes.php on your wiki when you add namespaces.
Comment 7 Brion Vibber 2006-11-29 23:04:12 UTC
Gah, people keep changing what these bugs describe. It's kinda annoying.
Comment 8 Brion Vibber 2007-12-31 22:12:10 UTC
Duping to bug 10171

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 10171 ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links