Last modified: 2010-05-15 15:42:52 UTC
When I install MediaWiki with Russian language it works very slow (on P-500 pages are
loaded in 20-30 seconds or doesn't load at all because of exceeding max. execution time)
but when I install it with English language pages are loaded pretty fast (2-4 seconds).
That's a pretty slow old computer; slowness is not surprising. Ensure that:
1) You don't have some generic problem with load, http configuration etc.
2) You have a PHP opcode cache installed (APC etc) <- DO THIS!
3) PHP's mbstring extension is enabled
Using memcached instead of the internal db can provide a very small speed boost on a small
site as well; assuming you have enough memory to run things of course.
Consider also installing the ICU-based Unicode normalization extension which may help with
Thank you a lot, enabling mbstring helped!