Last modified: 2006-09-04 18:06:25 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports are handled in Wikimedia Phabricator.
This static website is read-only and for historical purposes. It is not possible to log in and except for displaying bug reports and their history, links might be broken. See T9219, the corresponding Phabricator task for complete and up-to-date bug report information.
Bug 7219 - Terminal subcategory displays "undefined undefined: null" in Safari
Terminal subcategory displays "undefined undefined: null" in Safari
Product: MediaWiki extensions
Classification: Unclassified
CategoryTree (Other open bugs)
Macintosh Mac OS X 10.4
: Normal normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
Depends on:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2006-09-03 14:19 UTC by Fastfission
Modified: 2006-09-04 18:06 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Description Fastfission 2006-09-03 14:19:57 UTC
On the new subcategory tree function, instead of displaying "nothing found" when one gets to the final subcategory in a tree, 
Safari displays "undefined undefined: null" in a large red font. See screenshot at URL above.

I don't have a clue how the subcategory tree function works but this looks pretty broken. I know Safari isn't the most popular 
browser but it seems perhaps indicative that this isn't the ideal way to do whatever it is it is trying to do. (Why doesn't each 
node figure out if it has children or not when it is displayed and then just not allow you to expand it if it doesn't? Even the 
"nothing found" looks a little amateurish IMO.)
Comment 1 Daniel Kinzler 2006-09-03 14:24:26 UTC
The reasone that it doesn't count children up fron is simple: it would require a
lot of database queries, the reult of which would rarely be used. I'm not aware
of any way to do this nice and fast.

Why safari displays "undefined" there I don't know... and I don't have safar to
test it. I'll ask around.
Comment 2 Daniel Kinzler 2006-09-03 15:18:15 UTC
This appears to be a safari bug - "undefined undefind" refers to the status and
statusText fields of the XMLHttpRequest object, which *must* always be
available, as per specification. 

I have found reports about Safari sometimes not setting these fields, but not
about this specific case - it seems this is triggered when the response from the
server is empty. I'm currently trying to find a workaround - I can't think of a
good way right now, though. 

Does this happen for *all* "terminal" subcategories for you? Always? Does it
sometimes happen in other cases as well? Especially, check this: if you expand a
category node, then reload the page, then expand the same node again - does that
trigger an error? 

For reference:
describes a problem related to If-Modified-Since caching, with the same symptoms.
Comment 3 Fastfission 2006-09-03 19:22:45 UTC
I've seen it in all terminal subcategories, even if I do many of them at the same time. I tried the reloading-and-clicking 
and it does the same thing. Even if I open a node and then close it and open it again. It seems to strike-out in Safari each 

I can see why not to look for children ahead of time; and I imagine keeping a static childcount for any individual category 
would take some substantial re-working of the way things are currently done. 
Comment 4 Daniel Kinzler 2006-09-03 20:24:13 UTC
Relevant Webkit bug:
Comment 5 Daniel Kinzler 2006-09-03 21:33:33 UTC
Scrap the above, now filed as a separate issue:
Comment 6 Daniel Kinzler 2006-09-03 21:45:30 UTC
I have committed a workaround in r16377. I hope that fixes the problem, I don't
have Safari to test.
Comment 7 Daniel Kinzler 2006-09-04 18:06:25 UTC
The workaround is active on wikipedia now, please check if the problem has gone
away. You can reopen the bug if it's not OK.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.