Last modified: 2006-08-29 13:54:45 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 7108 - user namespace broken on pl.wikisource
user namespace broken on pl.wikisource
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Product: Wikimedia
Classification: Unclassified
Language setup (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Normal critical (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
: shell
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2006-08-23 19:03 UTC by Tomasz G. Sienicki
Modified: 2006-08-29 13:54 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Tomasz G. Sienicki 2006-08-23 19:03:07 UTC
After the recent changes in the code, the user namespace on pl.wikisource is
broken. It should be Wikiskryba: / Dyskusja_Wikiskryby: ; but it reverted to the
default Użytkownik: / Dyskusja_użytkownika.

As a consequence, most internal and external links to userpages are broken.

The same thing has happened on pl.wikiquote; however, the community there
decided to accept this change (a bot will correct the links).

(Before, the namespaces on Polish projects had been set up like that:
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/attachment.cgi?id=949 )
Comment 1 Rob Church 2006-08-24 10:24:04 UTC
The user namespace needs to be standardised between the language files. This is
the consequence of one community making unilateral decisions; breakage for
everyone else concerned.
Comment 2 Tomasz G. Sienicki 2006-08-24 10:34:19 UTC
"The user namespace needs to be standardised between the language files."

Software for people or people for software?
Comment 3 Rob Church 2006-08-24 10:36:17 UTC
What is the Polish for "User"?
Comment 4 Tomasz G. Sienicki 2006-08-24 10:39:18 UTC
"użytkownik"
Comment 5 Rob Church 2006-08-24 10:52:02 UTC
Spot the problem? The "correct" name, from a pure-language point of view, is now
in use, but the existing communities have been using an incorrect translation
for a long time, and as is understandable, don't want to change.

I suspect there's another bug indicating the need to be able to use namespace
aliases *other* than the canonical namespace names...
Comment 6 Tomasz G. Sienicki 2006-08-24 11:03:40 UTC
Rob, "user" is no more correct than "Wikimedian" or "Wikireporter"! "User" is
just the default translation.

The problem is not the community, but the changes in the code resulting in the
removal of certain functionality.
Comment 7 Rob Church 2006-08-24 11:21:06 UTC
Classic example *of the problem* - from the point of view of a default,
non-Wikimedia installation of MediaWiki, "User" *is* the correct word. From the
point of view of the communities, it might not be.

I never said that the communities were to *blame* for this, but neither are we,
when one considers; feel free to bitch at the i18n people, of course, but don't
be surprised if a lot of the excellent work they do then stops happening.

As I said above, we need to be able to give aliases to namespaces aside from the
canonical English names.
Comment 8 Tomasz G. Sienicki 2006-08-24 11:47:59 UTC
I understand the need to clean up the language files; but the present
configuration should have been moved somewhere else, not removed.

Note that in some cases (eg. pl.wikinews) the customised user namespace *WAS*
preserved ("Wikireporter"). In the case of pl.wikisource it wasn't, hence the
report.

And bug reporting is *not* bitching. This particular report wasn't worded in any
unpleasant way either. The change in the code *did* break things, you can't be
seriously suggesting we keep quiet about breakages in order not to hurt the
devs' feelings.

There is no-one to blame, there is a bug to fix.

No use continuing this exchange here, right? :)
Comment 9 Rob Church 2006-08-24 12:05:42 UTC
(In reply to comment #8)
> I understand the need to clean up the language files; but the present
> configuration should have been moved somewhere else, not removed.

I didn't do it. I would hope that whoever patched the language file would check
to see what kind of implications their changes would have, but of course, that's
hoping for too much.
 
> Note that in some cases (eg. pl.wikinews) the customised user namespace *WAS*
> preserved ("Wikireporter"). In the case of pl.wikisource it wasn't, hence the
> report.

That's...odd.
 
> And bug reporting is *not* bitching. This particular report wasn't worded in any
> unpleasant way either. The change in the code *did* break things, you can't be
> seriously suggesting we keep quiet about breakages in order not to hurt the
> devs' feelings.

Language barrier; I can't describe the sense in which I referred to "bitching"
without being complex. Suffice it to say, I didn't mean I considered your report
to be bitching.
Comment 10 Brion Vibber 2006-08-29 13:54:45 UTC
Added namespace alias for plwikisource. If there are others, please report them; I really don't 
feel like reading the above fighting thread which looks very unproductive.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links