Last modified: 2010-05-15 15:56:48 UTC
Installation impossible with normal procedure: it stops before the end with
"allowed memory size exhausted" error.
Installed on mutualized web server, don't have root access.
Cannot change memory limit in php.ini file, and done in .htaccess but doesn't work.
Creating LocalSettings.php and adding ini_set("memory_limit","20M"); breaks the
Workaround: manual migration of working mediawiki
1. installed on local server (OK, even with same memory limit)
2. retrieved database with phpmyadmin and reinserted in remote hosted mediawiki
3. copy local LocalSettings.php file to remote mediawiki
It thus have something to do with remote server config: see phpinfo() at this
See below installation messages:
* Warning: set_time_limit(): Cannot set time limit in safe mode in
/home/eq21682/html/wiki/install-utils.inc on line 29
* PHP 4.4.0 installed Warning: PHP's register_globals option is enabled.
Disable it if you can. MediaWiki will work, but your server is more exposed to
PHP-based security vulnerabilities.
* Warning: PHP's safe mode is active. You may have problems caused by this,
particularly if using image uploads.
* PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
* Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
* PHP's memory_limit is 8M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
Attempting to raise limit to 20M... failed.
* Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
* Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator are installed, can't use object
* GNU diff3 not found.
* Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if
you enable uploads.
* Installation directory: /home/eq21682/html/wiki
* Script URI path: /~eq21682/wiki
* Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.
* Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand(). Consider
changing it manually.
Generating configuration file...
Database type: mysql
* Attempting to connect to database server as eq21682...success.
* Connected to 4.1.14-log
* Database eq21682 exists
* There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if updates are
* Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 40 bytes) in /home/eq21682/html/wiki/languages/LanguageUtf8.php on line 59
Sorry, but 8 megabytes is not sufficient. This is why the
installer raises the limit to 20 megabytes. Please contact your
hosting provider and have them raise the limit, or you will be
unable to use MediaWiki.
You did not read the description: it's impossible to raise the limit to 20 mb
using LocalSettings.php, .htaccess or php.ini.
And in a mutualized environnement, the provider refuses to do so.
But now that I have found a workaround, it works. Are you saying that it will
eventually break ???
That's right, MediaWiki won't work in that environment.
Sorry, you'll need to use some other lighter-weight wiki software
or else find appropriate hosting.
(In reply to comment #3)
> That's right, MediaWiki won't work in that environment.
What do you mean exactly ? It DOES work ! At least now.
What functionnality is supposed to break ?
Besides, it is not documented anywhere, there is no warning in the system
requirements or in the installation manual, not even on the PHP config page (for
which I should transfer this bug report ?).
I've had so much hassle installing it I am not too inclined in finding and
installing another wiki. So I'd rather stick with it if it works.
What do you think ?
It doesn't work, as you show above.
It is documented. RIGHT THERE in the installer it told you it
I'm sorry if you have difficulty reading things that are
written to you, but it is clear that you cannot run MediaWiki
in your environment. Please do not continue trying to, and if
you must continue trying please don't waste your time or ours
telling us about it.