Last modified: 2006-11-26 19:57:15 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 5993 - Sidebar values need to be cleaned before use as the id= value in page source
Sidebar values need to be cleaned before use as the id= value in page source
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 7623
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Parser (Other open bugs)
All All
: Low minor with 1 vote (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
Depends on:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2006-05-17 00:21 UTC by Purodha Blissenbach
Modified: 2006-11-26 19:57 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Description Purodha Blissenbach 2006-05-17 00:21:18 UTC
The 1st line in MediaWiki:Sidebar is both displayed in the sidebar in some skins, and used as the value in an 
id="xxx" html attribute. Special charactes, even spaces, can be present is the data (See sample from ksh Wikipedia 
below) and lead to invalid html, since id= attribute values are pretty much restricted to alfanumerics and 
underscore only.

Solution: put the string above the side bar as-is, but use a special character filter before outputting the value 
of the id=attribute, as is it is done elsewhere, too.

Here the data that made complain. (btw. "Jangk noh" translates to "go to")

*Jangk noh 
Comment 1 lɛʁi לערי ריינהארט 2006-05-17 00:53:42 UTC

I did run into the same problem at
Bug 2797: [[MediaWiki:Mainpage]] and the other navigation utilities should allow
pipes, &nbsp; <span dir="foo" >

I have seen your changes at

As far as I know the usage of html entities, &#nnnn; &#xnnn; in MediaWiki
messages depends on their type: wikitext, htmltext, if used inside id="foo" etc.
Sometimes Unicode characters must be used but you are right they are not allowed
inside id="foo".

A filter would make sense.

best regards reinhardt [[user:gangleri]]
Comment 2 Rob Church 2006-05-17 07:11:00 UTC
At some point, the values for the sidebar items stopped being message keys
(which generally conform to the requirements) and started supporting literal
page names and URLs.
Comment 3 lɛʁi לערי ריינהארט 2006-05-17 20:25:45 UTC

I suggest to mark this bug as INVALID because there should be documentation
available about how to configure sidebar "properly".

Please see

I noticed another issue today:
the sidebar is case sensitive:
* Special:Version|version
is *not* identical with
* Special:Version|Version
depending on what languages are using to look at the page and what messages are
available in the local wiki:
still shows the Finish "Versio" while
shows rendering according to the (faulty) local MediaWiki:Version/ro

best regards reinhardt [[user:gangleri]]
Comment 4 Purodha Blissenbach 2006-05-28 11:39:39 UTC
After modifying the content of MediaWiki:Sidebar according to comment 3 as follows:

 ... etc. ...

where MediaWiki:Navigation exists, the problem of invalid html is gone, independent of wether or not there are 
spaces or special characters in the contents of MediaWiki:Navigation.

I am setting this bug to WONTFIX since there is indeed no real need (though it would not hurt...)

Yet the sidebar config needs to be more clearly documented, see bug 6118.
Comment 5 Aryeh Gregor (not reading bugmail, please e-mail directly) 2006-11-26 19:57:15 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 7623 ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.