Last modified: 2005-04-21 09:58:19 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 34 - Umlauts and click-to-edit
Umlauts and click-to-edit
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
General/Unknown (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Lowest normal with 1 vote (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-08-14 06:44 UTC by Timwi
Modified: 2005-04-21 09:58 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Timwi 2004-08-14 06:44:39 UTC
BUG MIGRATED FROM SOURCEFORGE
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=995095&group_id=34373&atid=411192
Originally submitted by SWAdair (swadair)  2004-07-21 10:59


I noticed a problem (English Wikipedia) with a click-to-
edit link where the article name contained an umlaut.  I 
tested it in the sandbox to verify the problem could be 
duplicated.  It was.

For the article [[Münster]], the click-to-edit link 
[http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?
title=Münster&action=edit Münster] creates a broken 
link.  I discovered this while working on a Topbanana list 
that generated click-to-edit links.

------------------------- Additional comments ------------------------
Date: 2004-07-29 04:36
Sender: SF user vibber

This could be fixed by removing the referrer check on the URL
encoding
converter. Currently it checks for URL transcoding only when
the request
is coming from outside the wiki, on the assumption that internal
links
should be consistent.

Removing the check might cause a problem when trying to clean
up
corrupt titles (miscoded UTF-8 on a Latin-1 wiki or vice versa),
which is
why the check was put in in the first place.

Another possibility would be to encode the URL in the local raw
encoding
instead of UTF-8; I'm not sure whether that's a good idea in
general,
though.

As a workaround, use hex codes for the raw bytes in the URL:
%fc for ü.

(Lowering priority since there's a workaround.)
Comment 1 Rowan Collins [IMSoP] 2004-09-01 16:06:50 UTC
Perhaps a nicer solution would be to introduce a simple internal syntax for
creating click-to-edit links - something along the lines of [[Münster@Edit]]
('@' currently being illegal in page-names). That way, the parser could deal
with the encoding issues in the same way as when you type [[Münster]] without
fear of doing strange things to spelt out URLs.

It would certainly be a handy short-cut, too, and it could even be formatted
differently (either the same as a broken link, or with a unique formatting, I'm
not sure). 

Note that this wouldn't actually conflict with bug 268, which suggests
[[<name>@<revision-number>]].
Comment 2 Brion Vibber 2005-04-21 09:58:19 UTC
Resolving as WORKSFORME, since this seems to work just fine now.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links