Last modified: 2010-05-15 15:38:03 UTC
It was suggested that I post here from Wikipedia's technical village pump. When attempting to upload an
.ogg file on Wikipedia English, I receive the following message: "The file is corrupt or has an incorrect
extension. Please check the file and upload again." I can play the OGG file without any problem using
Mint Audio and the extension is correct.
I recorded the file using Audacity 22.214.171.124 and exported as a WAV file. It was converted to an AIF file using
Ultra Recorder 2.4.2. Finally, it was converted to an OGG file using Ogg Drop 1.0b2.
I am running Mac System 9.0 on a Powerbook G3. I realize that the setup is fairly archaic, and I have a
suspicion that the somewhat antiquated software used to generate the final product is causing
MediaWiki to flag the file as hazardous.
Can you attach the file here, or upload it elsewhere, to test with?
I'm trying to find a place, but it's proving problematic. The filesize is around
10MB, well over the limit for posting here.
I've cropped off about the first quarter of the AUP file and reprocessed it into an OGG file. It's still being flagged by
MediaWiki as corrupt. I've finally found a place to upload the file but the interface is sketchy. I apologize for the
inconvenience. To download it for inspection:
1) Go to www.punchwebgroups.com
2) Login with username: D. Wu, password: punchgroups
3) Click on "ogg upload" in the directory listing on the left hand side
4) Click on "Attack on Pearl Harbor.ogg" in the directory listing on the left hand side
5) Click on "Download This" and follow further instructions
Internet Explorer for Mac apparently encodes file uploads as MacBinary for
types it doesn't recognize (GIF, PNG, and JPEG images seem to go through
At a minimum I can set it up to recognize this and show a more descriptive
error; might be able to extract the data as well, though.
This affects IE 5.2 on Mac OS X as well as Classic.
Fix checked into HEAD:
Maybe want to poke at it a bit before committing to REL1_5 for the live site,
but it seems to work with IE 5.2.3 on Mac OS X 10.4.2 and IE 5.0 running under
Note: uploading with Mozilla or Netscape should also work fine, as they don't
seem to do the extra MacBinary encoding.
Wikipedia is now running on the version with this fix, so it should be working. Please
reopen if problems continue.