Last modified: 2013-06-30 12:10:24 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 27988 - Implement a form-based editor SpecialPage for MediaWiki:Titleblacklist
Implement a form-based editor SpecialPage for MediaWiki:Titleblacklist
Status: NEW
Product: MediaWiki extensions
Classification: Unclassified
TitleBlacklist (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Normal enhancement (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2011-03-11 03:23 UTC by Thor Malmjursson
Modified: 2013-06-30 12:10 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Thor Malmjursson 2011-03-11 03:23:15 UTC
Hi. I'd like to file this, to ask whether it is possible to have the MediaWiki:Titleblacklist made into a special page, accessible to administrators only.  The reason for this is that recently at en.wikinews, we have had a user create 20+ accounts, all for vandalism, and as we've successively blocked each one in the Titleblacklist, they've changed the format and started making new ones.

The only possibility is that they are viewing the title blacklist, and seeing what we've blocked, only to figure out a way round the block.

By making the interface a restricted special page, only administrators could view and edit the content, thus rendering users from not being able to see what we've done.

I know we have the abuse filter, but at present, as far as I can tell, nobody on our users actually knows how to configure it to add anything :)

Thanks if you can do this guys.
Comment 1 Bawolff (Brian Wolff) 2011-03-11 21:20:44 UTC
There are a number of pages that it'd be nice if this was done for. Bad image list, sidebar (especially the sidebar ;), etc could all use special page interfaces.

I wonder if it'd be possible to have a generic special page for managing lists (This wouldn't apply to sidebar, but there's many mediawiki pages that aren't i18n pages are simple lists of things).
Comment 2 Bawolff (Brian Wolff) 2011-03-11 21:25:07 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> There are a number of pages that it'd be nice if this was done for. Bad image
> list, sidebar (especially the sidebar ;), etc could all use special page
> interfaces.
> 
> I wonder if it'd be possible to have a generic special page for managing lists
> (This wouldn't apply to sidebar, but there's many mediawiki pages that aren't
> i18n pages are simple lists of things).

As pointed out to me on irc, I cannot read :). I do think making special pages to manage these lists hacked on to the system message i18n system would be cool, but that's a separate issue.
Comment 3 Happy-melon 2011-03-11 21:28:09 UTC
It's certainly doable; but they'd need to be able to store their data in some database table, and it's not immediately obvious which one, or what schema a new table should have.
Comment 4 Krinkle 2011-03-11 21:29:10 UTC
GUI sidebar is bug 16943
Comment 5 John Mark Vandenberg 2011-04-28 15:11:03 UTC
We could leave the mediawiki pages where they are and add them to MediaWiki:MessagesOnlyViewableBySysops.
Comment 6 Victor Vasiliev 2011-04-28 15:36:21 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> We could leave the mediawiki pages where they are and add them to
> MediaWiki:MessagesOnlyViewableBySysops.

Per-page restrictions are unreliable.
Comment 7 Platonides 2011-05-03 19:56:33 UTC
I don't think that hiding new things is a good idea. For your vandal problem, you could use AbuseFilter with a hidden filter.
Comment 8 Thor Malmjursson 2011-05-04 17:03:06 UTC
Platonides: please refer back to my OP here:

"I know we have the abuse filter, but at present, as far as I can tell, nobody
on our users actually knows how to configure it to add anything"

I've asked on our irc channels, asked among staff, nobody knows how to get the AbuseFilter to work.  Is there any documentation on the Abusefilter listed anywhere so some of us can actually learn how to use it, since this suggesting is looking increasingly unlikely to get actioned?
Comment 9 Platonides 2011-05-05 20:15:57 UTC
Sorry, i missed it.
You do seem to have several users that made filters in the past (see Special:AbuseFilter).
The most knowledgeable person on AbuseFilter is Werdna (its author)

I'm no expert either but I think that the condition 
 (action == createaccount) & (user_name regex "foo+")
with "Prevent the user from performing the action in question" should do it (with a proper regex in place).

The documentation seems to be at
*http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter/RulesFormat
*http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter/Actions
Comment 10 sheac 2012-05-04 22:28:53 UTC
It seems that this is really the intended purpose of the AbuseFilter. Can we say that this problem is actually a need for proper AbuseFilter documentation, and submit a feature request on that component?

Also, this bug has not been touched in at least six months. With this in mind, I've been asked by the bugmeister to bump this bug's priority down for "High". Concerns can be addressed to mah@everybody.org.
Comment 11 snaevar 2012-10-10 00:12:08 UTC
Wouldn´t the Phalanx extension solve this bug?
Comment 12 James Forrester 2013-05-05 17:04:43 UTC
This isn't actually being worked on by RobLa; de-assigning.

As a note on the enhancement, it'd be nice, but of course all the functionality of titleblacklist is present in AbuseFilter - we could just get users to move the rules over and switch off the extension?
Comment 13 Bawolff (Brian Wolff) 2013-05-05 17:23:00 UTC
(In reply to comment #12)
> This isn't actually being worked on by RobLa; de-assigning.
> 
> As a note on the enhancement, it'd be nice, but of course all the
> functionality
> of titleblacklist is present in AbuseFilter - we could just get users to move
> the rules over and switch off the extension?

I don't neccesarily think a system that does everything is a good thing. Small systems that solve specific problems are good. As has already been noted previously, abusefilter is very complex compared to titleblacklist

As for the actual bug. Its honestly not that hard to get around blacklists via trial and error when you can try as many times as you want, even if you dont know what is on the list (essays about hard security vs soft security from meatball come to mind). A form based system would be more a win in usability than security imho. Replacing titleblacklist with abusefilter would be a massive loss for usability.
Comment 14 snaevar 2013-06-30 12:10:24 UTC
(In reply to comment #13)
> (In reply to comment #12)
> > This isn't actually being worked on by RobLa; de-assigning.
> > 
> > As a note on the enhancement, it'd be nice, but of course all the
> > functionality
> > of titleblacklist is present in AbuseFilter - we could just get users to move
> > the rules over and switch off the extension?
> 
> I don't neccesarily think a system that does everything is a good thing.
> Small
> systems that solve specific problems are good. As has already been noted
> previously, abusefilter is very complex compared to titleblacklist
> 
> As for the actual bug. Its honestly not that hard to get around blacklists
> via
> trial and error when you can try as many times as you want, even if you dont
> know what is on the list (essays about hard security vs soft security from
> meatball come to mind). A form based system would be more a win in usability
> than security imho. Replacing titleblacklist with abusefilter would be a
> massive loss for usability.

...and that´s why mw:Extension:Phalanx would be a much better option than the AbuseFilter for this bug. Phalanx already covers TitleBlacklist and it is much easier to use than AbuseFilter. The Admin tools development team are thinking of enabling Phlanx to WMF wikis - see mw:Admin tools development .

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links