Last modified: 2005-04-25 09:04:45 UTC
My power trick:
1. WikiSysop enters temporarily user's e-mail address into user account in db
2. User clicks on "Mail me a temporary password"
3. User receives the passwords,
4. re-login with that password, gains access to the account and can now
5. set up a new password
Is this a request for help? A suggestion for a change in code? Just a friendly
hint for anyone searching?
If the third, it would be better placed somewhere on meta, with the rest of the
documentation (such as it is).
If the second, what is the code you are suggesting / the problem you want solving?
(THIS IS A HELP FOR A COMMON PROBLEM, NOT A BUG REPORT)
(a) Access to the Wiki database, table user and a
(b) working e-mail system
You can quickly check requirement (b) by mailing yourself a temporary password
on the login screen of your wiki. Make sure, that you have set up ayour own
e-mail address, a common pitfall...
If (a) and (b) works, help is close:
My power trick:
1. You as a WikiSysop enter temporarily user's e-mail address into user account
in db table user.
2. tell your user to click on "Mail me a temporary password" on the wiki login
3. your user will receive a temporary password,
4. she needs to login with that password, and will gain access to the account
5. and can now set up a new password for her account
(In reply to comment #2)
> (THIS IS A HELP FOR A COMMON PROBLEM, NOT A BUG REPORT)
So why did you file it in the bug database? Like I say, put it somewhere on
meta, which is where people should be looking for this kind of thing; add it
under http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#User_administration for
instance. Put it in several places if you like, but I don't think a closed bug
on a system used mainly by developers will be all that findable by the people
who need this information.