Last modified: 2005-03-29 02:53:36 UTC
there are two nasty entries on
i heared about theese in #mediawiki on irc
the one currently at position 253 has a name that contains a single byte with a
value above $7F which is not valid utf-8 this was apparently created by
uploading from a windows 95 box the image is actually there but the image
description page link gives a bad name error.
i don't have win95 handy to test with. i tried and failed to reproduce this with
win98 second edition (with the supplied version of IE5 this is the oldest
version i have handy) and a local 1.4 test wiki
the one currently at position 256 has a totally blank name clicking on the dirct
image link gives a forbidden page from the uploads webserver. clicking the
description page gives a bad url error. This one was apparently created by
clicking upload without selecting a file.
i tired to reproduce this with a local 1.4 test wiki and just got an empty file
someone needs to clean up theese existing ghost images and make sure there are
sufficiant utf-8 paranoia checks that similar issues can't happen again.
These are due to old MediaWiki 1.3 bugs, so you shouldn't be able to reproduce the problem with new uploads in
The first one was also uploaded as http://wa.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imådje:Rou-dle-miroe.jpg , looks like the same
file. I've removed the bogus record with the bad name as it's redundant.
The second one I've also removed. Empty name records were generally due to submitting the form with a bad local
file reference so there was no file.