Last modified: 2014-08-22 09:59:23 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 15212 - Allow self-renames
Allow self-renames
Status: REOPENED
Product: MediaWiki extensions
Classification: Unclassified
Renameuser (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Lowest enhancement with 2 votes (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
: 15698 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-08-17 16:47 UTC by MZMcBride
Modified: 2014-08-22 09:59 UTC (History)
11 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description MZMcBride 2008-08-17 16:47:27 UTC
It would be nice if it were possible for users to go to Special:RenameUser or perhaps Special:Preferences and put a request in for a rename that would sit in a queue for bureaucrats to review.

While in the queue, the new username would be blocked from creation by outside parties to avoid vandalism issues that have been happening lately on en.wiki (i.e., people creating accounts after they're requested publicly). The bureaucrats would then be able to examine the situation and either accept or reject the request.

Filing under Special:RenameUser as it is the extension currently used, though perhaps this would require a separate extension.
Comment 1 Happy-melon 2008-08-17 17:07:38 UTC
IIRC a long-term development goal is to set up queues like this for lots of things, deletion being the obvious case: anyone can add a page to the 'deletion queue', and all admins have to do is say yay or nay.  A more refined version of speedy deletion - whereas pages can be pulled out of [[CAT:CSD]] by removing the deletion template, the only way to get a page out of the deletion queue would (presumably) be for it to be handled by an admin.  This is a very similar concept.
Comment 2 Andrew Garrett 2008-08-18 08:19:43 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> IIRC a long-term development goal is to set up queues like this for lots of
> things, deletion being the obvious case: anyone can add a page to the 'deletion
> queue', and all admins have to do is say yay or nay.  A more refined version of
> speedy deletion - whereas pages can be pulled out of [[CAT:CSD]] by removing
> the deletion template, the only way to get a page out of the deletion queue
> would (presumably) be for it to be handled by an admin.  This is a very similar
> concept.
> 

You're thinking of the DeleteQueue extension, which is in subversion.

(In reply to comment #0)
> It would be nice if it were possible for users to go to Special:RenameUser or
> perhaps Special:Preferences and put a request in for a rename that would sit in
> a queue for bureaucrats to review.

Actually, I think the plan is more like "Open up renames to the masses".
Comment 3 Krinkle 2011-01-22 21:18:43 UTC
Although I haven't used it myself, "Confirm user accounts" [0] seems to have some kind of queue.
Could be worth looking at if/when this is implemented in one way or another.

--
Krinkle

[0] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount
Comment 4 Aaron Schulz 2011-01-22 21:22:33 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> Although I haven't used it myself, "Confirm user accounts" [0] seems to have
> some kind of queue.
> Could be worth looking at if/when this is implemented in one way or another.
> 
> --
> Krinkle
> 
> [0] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount

I don't see any relation.
Comment 5 MZMcBride 2011-01-22 21:24:51 UTC
Re-opening this. No idea why it was marked "later."
Comment 6 MZMcBride 2011-01-22 21:26:01 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> Actually, I think the plan is more like "Open up renames to the masses".

How is what you're saying different from comment #0?
Comment 7 Siebrand Mazeland 2012-05-22 11:21:55 UTC
*** Bug 15698 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 8 Nemo 2014-08-22 09:59:23 UTC
MZ, there is some speculation about what sort of rename interface is needed to handle renames of people forcefully renamed for https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/SUL_finalisation : do you think the current interface is friendly enough for a normal user to rename self (considering they'd have no access to advanced options/fields/checkboxes bureaucrats have)?

As for the backend etc., is doing this for global renames substantially harder than for local renames?

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links