Last modified: 2008-07-06 20:24:14 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 14653 - LocalSetting.php Encoding type (multi-language/Hebrew support as site name)
LocalSetting.php Encoding type (multi-language/Hebrew support as site name)
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Installer (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All Linux
: Normal normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-06-26 15:20 UTC by dov
Modified: 2008-07-06 20:24 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description dov 2008-06-26 15:20:13 UTC
the default encoding type of LocalSettings.php is ANSI,
this is great for English site but for foreigns sites multi-language support is needed
for example I had tried to change my Wiki name to Hebrew name but there were encoding problem, because of the encoding type of LocalSettings.php is ANSI
I had discovered that converting the file encoding to UTF-8 solving this problem
I advise you to change the default encoding type of LocalSettings to UTF-8
Comment 1 Niklas Laxström 2008-06-26 15:31:20 UTC
As far as I know LocalSettings.php is fully ASCII by default, and thus also UTF-8. Are you sure this is not a problem with the text editor you are using?
Comment 2 dov 2008-06-26 16:55:30 UTC
I am sure about this...
the problem is on Linux systems (I am using FC7 on this particular server)
and while the charset is ASCII it can't recognize well other languages, while when I had opened the file and recoded it as UTF-8, the Linux machine recognized my language (hebrew) very well...

so I am suggesting to make this file as UTF-8 for default.. 
Comment 3 dov 2008-06-26 16:56:01 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> As far as I know LocalSettings.php is fully ASCII by default, and thus also
> UTF-8. Are you sure this is not a problem with the text editor you are using?

I am sure about this...
the problem is on Linux systems (I am using FC7 on this particular server)
and while the charset is ASCII it can't recognize well other languages, while
when I had opened the file and recoded it as UTF-8, the Linux machine
recognized my language (hebrew) very well...

so I am suggesting to make this file as UTF-8 for default.. 
Comment 4 Daniel Friesen 2008-06-27 07:17:54 UTC
I believe there is an issue of some editors not supporting UTF-8. And additionally, the only real difference between them is how something is set to read the file. The only way to force something to read the file as UTF-8 is to add a BOM to the start of the file, however, as I've experienced not every program (and PHP is within this area as I remember) handles UTF-8 code files with a BOM at the front of them very cleanly. It's quite possible that adding a BOM to the start of the file could end up leading to some people on varying hosts ending up with a lot of "headers already sent in LocalSettings.php" errors in their wiki.

However, I think the real issue here may be multibyte stuff. Which PHP has an alternate way of handling. For example æ ends up converted to æ. Perhaps the solution would be to edit with an editor like Notepad++ or another which you can type in, then use HEX mode or some sort of conversion to convert the multibyte UTF-8 into single byte ASCII and paste that into the string. Then your text will be outputted correctly in the web front. Do note that this is basically how all multibyte characters are handled in the language files.
Comment 5 Chad H. 2008-07-02 19:24:33 UTC
Not really a bug, as it's an issue with the end-user's editor, not the file itself.
Comment 6 Brion Vibber 2008-07-06 20:24:14 UTC
All MediaWiki files, including LocalSettings.php, are all UTF-8 all the time.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links