Last modified: 2014-02-19 11:21:45 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 14369 - Talk pages of subpages are not moved if the top-level page has no talk page
Talk pages of subpages are not moved if the top-level page has no talk page
Status: NEW
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
General/Unknown (Other open bugs)
1.13.x
All All
: Low normal with 1 vote (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-06-01 04:50 UTC by Mike.lifeguard
Modified: 2014-02-19 11:21 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Mike.lifeguard 2008-06-01 04:50:11 UTC
"One" has been moved to "One/test"

    * The page One/test has been moved to One/test/test.
    * The page One/two has been moved to One/test/two.

This did not move "Talk:One/two" ("One" itself had no talk page, so there wasn't the option to move talk pages too). But there must be a check for talk pages of all subpages and there must be the option to move them too.

Perhaps have a checkbox which appears when you check "move subpages too" that is "move talk pages of subpages too"

Alternatively, Make it a single "move all subpages and their talk pages" checkbox.

Alternatively, check for talk pages on the subpages when someone goes to move a page and all subpages. If those subpages have talk pages, then ask whether to move them too. This might get ugly if there is deleting to do too.

When the top-level page has a talk page there is no problem as you have the option to move the talk page, and when you check off "subpages too" it moves the subpages' talk pages.
Comment 1 Aryeh Gregor (not reading bugmail, please e-mail directly) 2008-06-03 02:01:28 UTC
Confusing situation.  Not clear what the best way to do this is.
Comment 2 Mike.lifeguard 2008-06-17 21:24:31 UTC
Generalizing the title of the bug, as there is an additional problem.

If moving Page along with subpages, when Page/Subpage doesn't exist, any subpages of Page/Subpage like Page/Subpage/Subsubpage which /do/ exist are missed.

The problem here is that all pages listed in Special:PrefixIndex/Page (and Special:PrefixIndex/Talk:Page when appropriate) need to be moved. There is likely a logic problem in finding the pages which should be moved. b:en:User:Darklama has suggested that there may be a check for a page's existence, and if it doesn't exist, then it stops and moves all pages found already. This would miss talk pages and subpages under the circumstances described, I think.
Comment 3 Aryeh Gregor (not reading bugmail, please e-mail directly) 2008-06-18 00:01:03 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> Generalizing the title of the bug, as there is an additional problem.

Please open additional bugs for separate issues.  The problem you describe has a clear solution and should be fixable independently of this one.

> If moving Page along with subpages, when Page/Subpage doesn't exist, any
> subpages of Page/Subpage like Page/Subpage/Subsubpage which /do/ exist are
> missed.

I can't reproduce this.  It works correctly for me.  When you open a new bug, please give the exact lists of pages existing/moved, and a link to the relevant logs if available.
Comment 4 Mike.lifeguard 2008-06-18 00:42:59 UTC
See bug 14575 then; I thought it was a different manifestation of the same problem.
Comment 5 Siebrand Mazeland 2008-08-16 23:39:42 UTC
Component: Page editing -> General/Unknown.
Comment 6 Mike.lifeguard 2008-11-25 03:45:01 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> Confusing situation.  Not clear what the best way to do this is.
> 

Is the situation I describe unclear?

Right now, you can workaround by creating the talk page so the talk subpages get recognized and moved. (and then maybe delete it after) But of course, as a workaround, it means things are still not right.
Comment 7 Aryeh Gregor (not reading bugmail, please e-mail directly) 2008-11-25 14:22:36 UTC
The problem is it's not clear to me what interface to provide to get around the problem.

Provide a "move talk page" checkbox if any subpages have talk pages?  Possible, but weird.

Make "move subpages" always move talk pages?  That removes functionality, although admittedly I don't know why you would want to move subpages without their talk pages.

Have separate checkboxes for "move talk page" and "move talk pages of subpages"?  Checkbox spam, that's *too* flexible.

Maybe the best way would be that if the current page has no talk pages but some subpages do have talk pages, change the "move talk page" option into "move talk pages of subpages (if subpages are moved)".  Put it below the "move subpages" option and have it grayed out unless that's selected.  That would be a reasonable way to fix it.
Comment 8 Mike.lifeguard 2008-11-25 18:02:38 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)
> The problem is it's not clear to me what interface to provide to get around the
> problem.
> 
> Provide a "move talk page" checkbox if any subpages have talk pages?  Possible,
> but weird.
> 
> Make "move subpages" always move talk pages?  That removes functionality,
> although admittedly I don't know why you would want to move subpages without
> their talk pages.

Yes, that's probably fine. I can't think of any use case for leaving the talk pages behind.

> Have separate checkboxes for "move talk page" and "move talk pages of
> subpages"?  Checkbox spam, that's *too* flexible.
> 
> Maybe the best way would be that if the current page has no talk pages but some
> subpages do have talk pages, change the "move talk page" option into "move talk
> pages of subpages (if subpages are moved)".  Put it below the "move subpages"
> option and have it grayed out unless that's selected.  That would be a
> reasonable way to fix it.

That's be the best possible solution, yes. However, doing the lookup for the talk page of every subpage might be expensive. Though I guess we already do a lookup for subpages. I guess that's a question for someone else to figure out.

So, either of those would be totally fine, I think.
Comment 9 Aryeh Gregor (not reading bugmail, please e-mail directly) 2008-11-25 23:26:05 UTC
(In reply to comment #8)
> That's be the best possible solution, yes. However, doing the lookup for the
> talk page of every subpage might be expensive.

No, no more expensive than checking whether the subpages themselves exist.  Same query, just in the talk namespace instead of the non-talk one.  Searches for pages in a given namespace with a given title prefix are very fast, about as fast (if limited to one result) as looking up a title by its name directly.
Comment 10 MZMcBride 2012-09-18 04:12:42 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)
> The problem is it's not clear to me what interface to provide to get around the
> problem.
> 
> Provide a "move talk page" checkbox if any subpages have talk pages?  Possible,
> but weird.

I'm not sure why you think this is weird. Couldn't you just genericize the text a bit? E.g., "move associated talk pages", which safely applies to 0 or more talk pages.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links