Last modified: 2010-05-15 15:59:48 UTC
We see an internal error when uploading a new version of certain files, in particular for files that are documents -- word, pdf, ppt, etc. I have not yet noticed the error when replacing an existing file of image type.
An example of one such error message is:
Could not rename file "public/6/63/Wikidocsearchresults_9.xls" to "public/archive/6/63/20080301151006!Wikidocsearchresults_9.xls".
Though the precise path changes according to the wiki installation that causes the error.
* we do not have "public" in our path
* we have set the following in our LocalSettings.php:
$wgUploadPath = "$wgScriptPath/images";
$wgUploadDirectory = "$IP/images";
* we do not have php's safe_mode or open_basedir enabled
* we have no /images/ aliases in apache2 conf files
* in some cases, the paths which display are quite long and bizarre
* most other files and images can be replaced without error
* the files in question can be replaced using ./maintenance/importImage.php --overwrite
Version info is as follows:
* MediaWiki: 1.11.0
* PHP: 5.1.2 (apache2handler)
* MySQL: 5.0.22-Debian_0ubuntu6.06.6-log
Check the directory and file ownership and privileges. It's fairly likely that you have a mix of different file owners, particularly if you've been using command-line scripts to do file imports.
File/directory permissions are the same for all files (system user, 777) though the user is not our apache2 user -- something we did to simplify file synchronization among servers in our cluster. Once I changed this the problem was solved.
For some reason I thought the path was incorrect, but clearly not.
Thanks for your help!