Last modified: 2008-02-26 22:33:50 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 13074 - Quiz extension text responses not markable in MW1.12a
Quiz extension text responses not markable in MW1.12a
Product: MediaWiki extensions
Classification: Unclassified
Quiz (Other open bugs)
All All
: Normal minor (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
Depends on: 13139
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2008-02-19 18:15 UTC by James McCormack
Modified: 2008-02-26 22:33 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---

Add a "q" at the begining of former "pure numeric" names in inputs. (1.03 KB, patch)
2008-02-25 13:16 UTC, BABE Louis Remi

Description James McCormack 2008-02-19 18:15:32 UTC
It seems that a recent revision of the quiz extension broke it.
Compare identical wikimarkup on Wikiversity at
which is running r30701 and fouls up the answers;
and at
which is running r29381 (Jan 7) which can mark the answers correctly.

I may be hanging around on #mediawiki for questions. I'm very familiar with this extension.

Thanks for fixing this.
Comment 1 James McCormack 2008-02-19 18:24:57 UTC
Symptoms: if you enter the answers (Stageira, Plato, Alexander; case-sensitive) on the above two pages, the one marks them correctly, the other (WV) can't mark them any more. Generally the marking is fouled up. I tested this extension extensively when it was released, and these very obvious marking errors were not there then.
Comment 2 James McCormack 2008-02-19 18:40:15 UTC
After further testing I don't think it was the recent revisions of this extension which broke it. I can only think that something is conflicting with it on Wikiversity. It looks more as if the error is somewhere with the runtime scripts, which would mean that JS or CSS is at fault, not PHP. I'm not sure where to start looking.
Comment 3 Aryeh Gregor (not reading bugmail, please e-mail directly) 2008-02-19 18:57:35 UTC
Does lrbabe have a Bugzilla account?
Comment 4 James McCormack 2008-02-20 05:22:36 UTC
I've contacted lrbabe and he started testing the code on Mediawiki 1.12a last night. I've made some comments about the bugzilla report, so perhaps he will join.

Another comment: all the question types which don't use text fields are fine. It's just the text fields that don't get marked properly any more.
Comment 5 James McCormack 2008-02-21 09:10:31 UTC
I've done some more testing here to try and narrow down (a little) where to look for the problem. I took a very simple 1.11.1 installation of mediawiki (no thrills attached; no funny CSS; no other extensions; etc), and verified that the quiz extension text responses worked correctly on it, which they did. I then downloaded the latest 1.12a version from SVN (20th Feb) - just the phase3 stuff, nothing more, and did a basic upgrade. I then tested the same quiz extension sample again, and it failed this time in exactly the same way as it does on Wikimedia projects.

OK - it's not that big a deal, but it does at least confirm that the problem is an incompatibility with the 1.12a core code, and that it is something which got changed from 1.11.1.

A cursory look at the code: it might have to do with changes in WebRequest.php.
Comment 6 BABE Louis Remi 2008-02-24 23:46:03 UTC
Yes, it has to do with the recent changes in webRequest.php, I've filled a bug :
I don't need to change many things inorder to get the extension working again, I'll try to submit a patch tomorrow (cause I don't know if I still can commit on svn)
Comment 7 BABE Louis Remi 2008-02-25 13:16:05 UTC
Created attachment 4676 [details]
Add a "q" at the begining of former "pure numeric" names in inputs.
Comment 8 Brion Vibber 2008-02-26 22:33:50 UTC
Fixed in r31327. Replaced array_merge() with wfArrayMerge() which behaves in a sane fashion.

Gee, I wish we didn't have to reimplement half of PHP's standard library.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.