Last modified: 2008-03-29 05:22:17 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 13066 - Requesting rewritten subpagelist extension for Wikiversity
Requesting rewritten subpagelist extension for Wikiversity
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 13163
Product: MediaWiki extensions
Classification: Unclassified
Extensions requests (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Normal enhancement (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensi...
: patch, patch-need-review
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-02-19 07:05 UTC by James McCormack
Modified: 2008-03-29 05:22 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments
Code of Extension:SubPageList3.zip. Add to SVN if you like. (3.99 KB, application/octet-stream)
2008-02-19 07:05 UTC, James McCormack
Details

Description James McCormack 2008-02-19 07:05:57 UTC
Created attachment 4658 [details]
Code of Extension:SubPageList3.zip. Add to SVN if you like.

There is a pretty exhaustive description of everything at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SubPageList3, including a link to the discussions and voting on the Wikiversities. I rewrote this extension after JeLuF correctly pointed out that SubPageList2 (written by someone else) was nowhere near good enough. Mind you, I'm on a learning curve here. Code is in an attachment and also posted to the above page.
Comment 1 Brion Vibber 2008-03-29 00:02:18 UTC
Made some minor code tweaks in r32559.

Some fundamental issues which need to be fixed before any Wikimedia deployment:


Sorting:

The code causes an inefficient filesort operation by sorting on UPPER(page_title) instead of page_title. Depending on how smart the database is, that may be a non-issue (small result data sets) or it may be wildly inefficient, but it's a red flag.

More generally, note that the case-insensitive intention of this sort will fail on non-ASCII characters in MySQL 4 and default compat configurations, as the transformation applied at the DB won't be correct.

Recommend sorting simply on page_title, as elsewhere in the system (eg Special:Prefixindex).


Caching:

Currently the extension outright disables caching on any page using the <splist/> tag. While this ensures that up-to-date page lists are displayed, it could make a site widely using it very expensive indeed -- the entire page, however large, needs to be reparsed on every view -- even under a load spike like a Slashdotting, where the same page is hit over and over.

To correctly handle cache updates, uses on a page should be registered at links-update time, and creation/deletion of a subpage can trigger update jobs for registered pages.
Comment 2 James McCormack 2008-03-29 05:22:17 UTC
This bug ("request") is currently deprecated. Please see most recent thread at:
13163 Activate SubPageList3 extension on English Wikiversity

Brion's valuable comments have been moved there already.

I'm not sure how to mark this bug, so I've tried marking it as a duplicate of 13163.

Thank you!

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 13163 ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links