Last modified: 2011-04-14 15:10:24 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 12963 - allow per-page exceptions to spam blacklist
allow per-page exceptions to spam blacklist
Status: NEW
Product: MediaWiki extensions
Classification: Unclassified
Spam Blacklist (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Low enhancement with 2 votes (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-02-07 23:56 UTC by Waldir
Modified: 2011-04-14 15:10 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Waldir 2008-02-07 23:56:31 UTC
I think the spam blacklist should allow exceptions for specific pages.
For example, if www.samplelink.com is blaclkisted, it should be usable on the [[Samplelink]] article
I find this especially useful for shock sites like goatse.cx, which end up being notable enough to have an article, but there might be other uses I haven't thought of.

I know there is a site-wide whitelist, but maybe this list could be adjusted to allow specifying only a given page (or pages) where the link is acceptable.
Comment 1 Waldir 2008-05-22 08:35:54 UTC
As a side note, the behavior would be similar to [[MediaWiki:Bad image list]] (that is, such a mechanism is already implemented)
Comment 2 Mike.lifeguard 2009-02-17 22:02:26 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> I know there is a site-wide whitelist, but maybe this list could be adjusted to
> allow specifying only a given page (or pages) where the link is acceptable.
> 

Is there a reason the pre-existing whitelist mechanism is insufficient for this purpose? I really don't think this is a problem & I'd recommend WONTFIX.
Comment 3 Waldir 2009-02-17 22:17:28 UTC
The site-wide whitelist allows the listed urls for all the pages of the side, afaik; it is meant to override the global blacklist (that is, it is a site-wide list exceptions for meta-site blacklisted urls, rather than single-page exceptions for the site-wide blacklist). Now, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I asked some people about this before I submitted this bug. If the whitelist does indeed allow specifying only one or a few pages where an url is allowed (like in  [[MediaWiki:Bad image list]]), then this should at best be closed as WORKSFORME. Otherwise, I think it is a worthy enhancement.
Comment 4 Mike.lifeguard 2009-02-17 22:22:15 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> The site-wide whitelist allows the listed urls for all the pages of the side,
> afaik; it is meant to override the global blacklist (that is, it is a site-wide
> list exceptions for meta-site blacklisted urls, rather than single-page
> exceptions for the site-wide blacklist).

No, it is /of course/ used for exceptions to blacklisting on the local blacklist! This is often done for domains which have been spammed, but the main page (domain.com/index.html or something) is needed as a link on the article about the site/organization/whatever.

> Now, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty
> sure I asked some people about this before I submitted this bug. If the
> whitelist does indeed allow specifying only one or a few pages where an url is
> allowed (like in  [[MediaWiki:Bad image list]]), then this should at best be
> closed as WORKSFORME. Otherwise, I think it is a worthy enhancement.

It doesn't allow that currently, but I just don't think it's useful. I can't think of a case where it's needed.
Comment 5 Waldir 2009-02-17 22:26:18 UTC
> (In reply to comment #3)
> No, it is /of course/ used for exceptions to blacklisting on the local
> blacklist! This is often done for domains which have been spammed, but the main
> page (domain.com/index.html or something) is needed as a link on the article
> about the site/organization/whatever.

Oh! then I guess I didn't investigate the issue well enough back when I submitted this :)
 
> It doesn't allow that currently, but I just don't think it's useful. I can't
> think of a case where it's needed.

Well, it would be useful for shock sites as I noted in my first comment. And possibly there could be other uses (e.g. sites we could link to from their article, but which generally would be a bad idea to link to from other pages)

Comment 6 Mike.lifeguard 2009-02-17 22:28:15 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> Well, it would be useful for shock sites as I noted in my first comment. And
> possibly there could be other uses (e.g. sites we could link to from their
> article, but which generally would be a bad idea to link to from other pages)
> 

Yep, these use cases are already covered adequately by the whitelist, I think.
Comment 7 Waldir 2009-02-17 22:37:58 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)
> these use cases are already covered adequately by the whitelist, I think.

Even when the spam is done using the main page of the domain? I'm asking this especially because shock sites (such as goatse.cx) usually only have the main page (I might again be wrong, as I'm not an expert in the subject :)).

Comment 8 Mike.lifeguard 2009-02-17 22:42:39 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)
> (In reply to comment #6)
> > these use cases are already covered adequately by the whitelist, I think.
> 
> Even when the spam is done using the main page of the domain? I'm asking this
> especially because shock sites (such as goatse.cx) usually only have the main
> page (I might again be wrong, as I'm not an expert in the subject :)).
> 

Right, but you can whitelist it, add the domain, and then remove it from the whitelist. Until bug 16325 is fixed. After that... dunno. In that case maybe. Then the issue becomes whether you want to actually link to goatse.cx on [[goatse.cx]]... I'm not sure that we do (and in fact we don't do that). I really really don't see the point in implementing this, but I'm done commenting on it. Again, I'd suggest that this be marked WONTFIX.
Comment 9 Waldir 2009-02-17 22:51:55 UTC
Ok, I don't think it's critical to have those links, I just thought that not having them could be considered some sort of censoring. If noone else finds this relevant, then let's have this WONTFIXed... at least it's one less bug for the devs to care about :)
Comment 10 Andrew Garrett 2009-03-10 03:46:18 UTC
This might be sensible, but isn't necessarily high-priority.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links