Last modified: 2014-05-17 17:26:15 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 1289 - Feature request: Category reverse sort by date
Feature request: Category reverse sort by date
Status: NEW
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Categories (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Lowest enhancement with 3 votes (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Category:...
:
: 5561 14287 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-01-08 21:12 UTC by David Speakman
Modified: 2014-05-17 17:26 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description David Speakman 2005-01-08 21:12:16 UTC
The Category function is not translating well into Wikinews. The biggest problem
with categories is that we cannot sort by date to make the newest stories appear
on top. Compare http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Category:Culture_and_entertainment
with http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Category:Culture_and_entertainment_test.

In essence, after 50 staries are written on a given topic, a category becomes
virtually useless since alphabetic sort yileds results where it is impossible to
tell the difference between a story written last year or last night.

And with a [[Category:Topic|YYYMMDD]] sort, the OLDEST appears on top - which
makes the task of finding the newest story a scroll hunt for the reader.
Comment 1 Richard J. Holton 2005-02-11 03:40:20 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> The Category function is not translating well into Wikinews. The biggest problem
> with categories is that we cannot sort by date to make the newest stories appear
> on top. Compare http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Category:Culture_and_entertainment
> with http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Category:Culture_and_entertainment_test.
> 
> In essence, after 50 staries are written on a given topic, a category becomes
> virtually useless since alphabetic sort yileds results where it is impossible to
> tell the difference between a story written last year or last night.
> 
> And with a [[Category:Topic|YYYMMDD]] sort, the OLDEST appears on top - which
> makes the task of finding the newest story a scroll hunt for the reader.

Could you describe what you'd like the category page to look like for this?
Would the date of the article be included in the category page listing? Would
the date in question be the last modified date of the article, or something that
is included in the sort key? You want the names sorted ascending alphabetically,
but then descending by date? Or would some tag on the category page indicating a
descending sort be sufficient?
Comment 2 Christopher Beland 2005-04-17 23:31:39 UTC
This would be useful for maintainance categories where we are using them as FIFO
queues.  In this case, the date should be taken as the point at which the
category tag was added to the article.  Though most of these categories actually
use templates to do that, so detecting that is slightly more complex than you
might think.  But certainly doable. 
Comment 3 Bawolff (Brian Wolff) 2006-01-07 04:48:35 UTC
I think this should be the date the category was added to the article. As for
headings I would see this as the date. (December 21, 2005) or possibly the month
and year (December, 2005). One posibility Is to do it somewhat similiar to the
experimental date techinique for the google cat (
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Google/date#Date-order ). I think a little link
should be at the (next 200) line where it could say (sort by date)
Comment 4 Jaeneva 2006-03-15 12:30:02 UTC
I actually need to be able to list it by a specified date, not by the date the
entry is entered into the site, as I am creating a timeline for my RPG group. 
It's a similar problem with the categories, I need to be able to have dates
(preferably the year) for the headings, rather than a single number or letter
http://www.ucip.org/beta/index.php/Category:Timeline
Comment 5 Chad H. 2009-07-30 23:41:22 UTC
*** Bug 5561 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 6 Chad H. 2009-07-30 23:41:33 UTC
*** Bug 14287 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 7 Quim Gil 2014-05-17 00:29:55 UTC
Wikinews seems to have solved the problem with RSS feedbs and templates, which looks like the right approach for this use case.

https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Category:Culture_and_entertainment

(In reply to Jaeneva from comment #4)
> I actually need to be able to list it by a specified date, not by the date
> the entry is entered into the site, as I am creating a timeline for my RPG
> group. 
> It's a similar problem with the categories, I need to be able to have dates
> (preferably the year) for the headings, rather than a single number or letter
> http://www.ucip.org/beta/index.php/Category:Timeline

Maybe categories alone are not a tool for this kind of job? A category cannot dig into the content of an article to find a specific date field. This is a work for templates.
Comment 8 Bawolff (Brian Wolff) 2014-05-17 12:34:19 UTC
How about https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategorySortHeaders .



Note: wikinews uses dynamic page list for its lists.
Comment 9 Bawolff (Brian Wolff) 2014-05-17 12:35:30 UTC
Also failing all else, you could probably use semantic mediawiki for your purposes.
Comment 10 Quim Gil 2014-05-17 17:13:36 UTC
Considering that the original problem is solved (the Wikinews use case), that other solutions exist to solve this problem, and that including this feature in MediaWiki Core seems unlikely, can we close this report as wontfix?
Comment 11 Bawolff (Brian Wolff) 2014-05-17 17:26:15 UTC
(In reply to Quim Gil from comment #10)
> Considering that the original problem is solved (the Wikinews use case),
> that other solutions exist to solve this problem, and that including this
> feature in MediaWiki Core seems unlikely, can we close this report as
> wontfix?

Oh, I totally thought comment 4 was the original bug when making my last comment. I'm actually not sure that the original bug is that unlikely to be included in MediaWiki core. People on enwikipedia often say things like they wish that maintenance categories could be sorted by date. If liangent's category sorting branch ever gets merged, I think it would make sense to also add this feature to his/her code. After all, at that point we would both have an interface for it, as well as the database schema support for it. I think this is a valid low-priority enhancement request.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links