Last modified: 2013-03-14 16:46:54 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 12357 - sidebar rendered over wiki content
sidebar rendered over wiki content
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Parser (Other open bugs)
1.10.x
All All
: Low normal with 2 votes (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-12-19 20:26 UTC by Chris L
Modified: 2013-03-14 16:46 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments
sidebar rendered over wiki content (111.93 KB, image/pjpeg)
2007-12-19 20:26 UTC, Chris L
Details

Description Chris L 2007-12-19 20:26:29 UTC
Created attachment 4454 [details]
sidebar rendered over wiki content

We've implemented several wiki for different group in our organization and one thing we found useful was the ability to embed content from other wiki.

To prevent the duplication of information (and at the same time prevent having to cascade an update at several places) I’ve even setup a “central” wiki that will contain information fetched by other wiki.

The first obvious use for that was for a contact list so I went ahead and entered a bunch of contact and now 3 other wiki fetches the various contacts that they needs.

Now about the problem itself, from times to times (I can’t pinpoint when it’s happening and why) the sidebar appears over the text of the contact page. I can browse to any other page within the wiki and they are all fine. If I paste the line responsible for the transclusion into another page then that other page is doing the same thing.

Sometimes after forcing a purge the problem fixes itself but not all the times. At one point I tried to purge the cache with “action=purge” and it actually caused this problem
Comment 1 Chris L 2007-12-19 20:36:00 UTC
A little extra info about the way it's setup

- Each entry in the phone list is a page on it's own in the "central" wiki
- In the "central" wiki there's a page that combine the required pages and it's that page that's being transcluded in the different wiki; so there are 2 levels of embeding here
Comment 2 Chris L 2008-03-25 13:09:45 UTC
Just to sumerize, 
I noticed the trouble using 1.10.0. I figured that maybe with the newly released version 1.20.0 it would be fine; but it's still happening

Code on the page where the problem is occuring
{{IW:Select Contact List}}

Sample of the code on the page being Transcluded
...
{|border=1 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0 width=765
|-
|bgcolor="#000066"|

===<font color=white>ISP SMB</font>===
|}

{|border=1 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=765
|-
|{{Template:Directory/Column Name}} 
|-
|{{Template:Directory/Bell Business Internet (BBI) Help Desk}}
|-
|{{Template:Directory/BBI BOBIS-CIA}}
|-
|{{Template:Directory/Bell Canada Hosting}}
|-
|{{Template:Directory/Business Internet Dedicated}}
...

there's a total of 137 page being embeded this way
Comment 3 Chris L 2008-03-25 13:11:38 UTC
I made a mistake on the previous comment, I went from 1.10.0 to 1.12.0 (not 1.20.0)
Comment 4 Brion Vibber 2008-03-25 18:25:41 UTC
Offhand I'd suspect some unclosed tags somewhere... not really sure we can diagnose it without a working sample page though.

Can you reduce the page to a minimal version which still causes the problem, but doesn't contain any private data so we can copy the whole thing to test it?
Comment 5 Chris L 2008-04-18 12:24:10 UTC
While getting the infrormation you requested I tried to reproduce the issue but it hasn't reoccured over the last few weeks.

I'll leave that issue open as it was intermitent but if we don't run into the issue within the next 5-6 weeks I'll close/reslove this bug.
Comment 6 Kevin 2009-07-10 19:33:51 UTC
I do not have a high degree of ability in this area but if you are discussing the fact that Wikipedia is virtually unusable on a cell phone because all of the information is not separated then I too have this problem.  I have virtually given up on using Wikipedia on my cell phone because of this problem.  

  
Comment 7 Charles Melbye 2009-07-10 19:39:17 UTC
I think the previous modification was a mistake. (Made to the wrong ticket or something)
Comment 8 Andre Klapper 2013-03-14 16:46:54 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> While getting the infrormation you requested I tried to reproduce the issue
> but it hasn't reoccured over the last few weeks.
> I'll leave that issue open as it was intermitent but if we don't run into the
> issue within the next 5-6 weeks I'll close/reslove this bug.

Closing as per this comment. Please reopen if this is still a problem in a supported version of MediaWiki.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links