Last modified: 2011-08-14 23:00:59 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 12317 - Change lang and xml:lang in no.wikipedia from ‘no’ to ‘nb’
Change lang and xml:lang in no.wikipedia from ‘no’ to ‘nb’
Status: NEW
Product: Wikimedia
Classification: Unclassified
Language setup (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Low enhancement with 5 votes (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
http://no.wikipedia.org/
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-12-15 17:45 UTC by Jon Harald Søby
Modified: 2011-08-14 23:00 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Jon Harald Søby 2007-12-15 17:45:52 UTC
The lang and xml:lang attributes in the <html> tag on the Norwegian (Bokmål) Wikipedia should be changed from ‘no’ to ‘nb’. The ‘no’ code is really ‘nb + nn’, but the Norwegian (Bokmål) Wikipedia only has content in Bokmål, and not in Nynorsk (nn). The URL is still no.wikipedia for historical reasons - in short, the Wikipedia used to have both variants of Norwegian, until the Nynorsk Wikipedia was created, and no.wikipedia started just having Bokmål content.

This change should only go for no.wikipedia though - other ‘no’ projects (Wikisource, Wikibooks, Wiktionary and Wikiquote) should still have ‘no’ in the language tags, as they allow both varieties.
Comment 1 Kjetil Lenes 2009-01-16 21:53:36 UTC
I second this motion
Comment 2 Oddeivind 2009-01-16 22:33:34 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> I second this motion

I support it as well, as this is a question of minority rights. By the way, how will there be made a decision on this? 

Comment 3 Jon Harald Søby 2009-01-16 22:51:58 UTC
Please note that this ug is only for the metadata in the HTML source, not for the lamguage code for the wiki itself.
Comment 4 Oddeivind 2009-01-16 23:00:47 UTC
Is it not for cnaging no.wikipedia.org to nb.wikipedia.org? 
Comment 5 Jon Harald Søby 2009-01-16 23:28:44 UTC
No, it is not.
Comment 6 nsaa 2009-01-18 23:02:40 UTC
There's a lengthy discussion on http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tinget#no_.3E_nb about the issue regarding moving no.wikipedia.org to nb.wikipedia.org. There's no agreement on the moving, and even then, it's not correct to place this wiki under the language code nb. The official bokmål (nb code) is regulated by Språkrådet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Language_Council) and the riksmål is regulated by the academy Det Norske Akademi for Sprog og Litteratur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Academy_for_Language_and_Literature).  
Comment 7 Casey Brown 2009-01-18 23:41:58 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)
> There's a lengthy discussion on
> http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tinget#no_.3E_nb about the issue
> regarding moving no.wikipedia.org to nb.wikipedia.org. There's no agreement on
> the moving, and even then, it's not correct to place this wiki under the
> language code nb. The official bokmål (nb code) is regulated by Språkrådet
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Language_Council) and the riksmål is
> regulated by the academy Det Norske Akademi for Sprog og Litteratur
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Academy_for_Language_and_Literature).  
> 

It's *not* about moving no.wp.o to nb.wp.o.  For that, see Bug 17047.
Comment 8 nsaa 2009-01-19 09:51:37 UTC
But it's what lang code the site should be identified as in the html header, and in that regard it's relevant (and it should not be changed)
Comment 9 Gamlevegen 2009-01-22 17:40:47 UTC
no.wikinews, no.wikibooks and no.wikisource are, as Søby says, common projects.

Note, however, that there are two seperate wikiquote projects, nn. written in nynorsk and no. in bokmål. Both, on the other hand, have untranslated quotes from the other standard: http://nn.wikiquote.org/w/index.php?oldid=6647 and http://no.wikiquote.org/w/index.php?oldid=13750 . Also, no.wikiqoute links to both wikipedias, at least in this example: http://no.wikiquote.org/w/index.php?oldid=13032. So how do they fit ito the picture?

The future of the wiktionaries does not seem to be certain, but no. is an attempt at a common project and nn. has little activity. Is this bug in any way to blame for the fact that pt.wiktionary distinguishes between Norwegian and Nynorsk and not between Bokmål and Nynorsk? (en.Wiktionary seem to know what they are doing, they just need to do a little cleaning up.)

Does this cease to be an issue if no.wikipedia moves to nb.wikipedia?
Comment 10 soulkeeper.wikipedia 2011-08-14 22:59:02 UTC
(In reply to comment #8)
> But it's what lang code the site should be identified as in the html header,
> and in that regard it's relevant (and it should not be changed)

(In reply to comment #8)
> But it's what lang code the site should be identified as in the html header,
> and in that regard it's relevant (and it should not be changed)

Even Riksmålsforbundet acknowledges that nb is the most accurate language code for riksmål. Why should we be holier than the pope?
Comment 11 soulkeeper.wikipedia 2011-08-14 23:00:59 UTC
(In reply to comment #9)
> Is this bug in any way
> to blame for the fact that pt.wiktionary distinguishes between Norwegian and
> Nynorsk and not between Bokmål and Nynorsk? (en.Wiktionary seem to know what
> they are doing, they just need to do a little cleaning up.)

Likely, yes.

> Does this cease to be an issue if no.wikipedia moves to nb.wikipedia?

Yes. But that does not seem a likely outcome.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links