Last modified: 2010-05-15 15:59:48 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 12073 - {{words}} and page titles (in Unicode) are unstable
{{words}} and page titles (in Unicode) are unstable
Status: RESOLVED INVALID
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Documentation (Other open bugs)
1.11.x
PC FreeBSD
: High normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
http://mgdvorec.ru/wiki/index.php/%D0...
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-11-23 14:17 UTC by Ilya V. Vasilyev
Modified: 2010-05-15 15:59 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Ilya V. Vasilyev 2007-11-23 14:17:47 UTC
This is my first MediaWiki installation.  First two weeks it worked okay.  Few days ago templates and magic words (everything in {{ }} brackets) turns unstable.  Sometimes they work, sometimes just show themselves in the resulting webpage, even {{SITENAME}} in window title, {{PLURAL...}} at the bottom of pages.

To make things even worse, some pages aren't displayed by index.php at all.  They display message from "badtitletext".  After few reloads (with the same URL) the correct page is displayed, very often with bad templates.

When I edit one page by adding/deleteing spaces/blanklines, the page could be fixed.  But another page at the same time brokes.  Sometimes : or ] characters in the page contents are changed to "?", sometimes "?" appears at the end of (the broken or working) page.

I use Russian language both in page title and contents with option to use Unicode support, build in MySQL.

* MediaWiki: 1.11.0
* PHP: 5.2.3 (apache)
* MySQL: 5.0.45-log

$uname -a
FreeBSD be76.masterhost.ru 6.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p1 #0: Wed Feb 14 17:32:18 MSK 2007     root@beX6-i386.masterhost.ru:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/server6  i386

I have only one extension (CharInsert), and disableing it doesn't help.  I'm working via HTTP proxy, but my home Internet account (NAT, w/o proxy) shows the same problem.  Only week ago it was all okay and behaved as documented from everywhere.

People on #mediawiki suggested there is an error in SQL database.  I run mysqlcheck, but it shows "Ok" to every table (except hits) even with "-e" and with "-r" options with the only note:

u79575.dw_hitcounter
note     : The storage engine for the table doesn't support check

I'm really disappointed, because this installation is on the site of a big Russian educational organization, and many teachers just started to use wiki technology.  If this bug will be fixed fast, people could continue to enjoy MediaWiki.
Comment 1 Ilya V. Vasilyev 2007-11-30 13:01:22 UTC
Finally traced this bug!

This is bug not in MediaWiki code, but in its documentation.  One must add "at least 20Mb of memory_limit for PHP" in Requirements.

I had only 16Mb, so all those weird things happened -- even when I made a fresh installation!  When I changed memory_limit to 32Mb, everything became stable.

But I also changed Unicode support in MySQL from "Experimental" to first option and database option to more stable (we have several users).  So, if you want to be 100% sure, make testing.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links