Last modified: 2010-05-15 15:59:41 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 11926 - After upgrade '[edit]' links replaced by non-linked text '<editsection-brackets>'
After upgrade '[edit]' links replaced by non-linked text '<editsection-bracke...
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Installer (Other open bugs)
1.11.x
All All
: Normal normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
Section [edit] links replaced by <edi...
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-11-10 18:24 UTC by Garth Webb
Modified: 2010-05-15 15:59 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments
LocalSettings.php file (4.63 KB, text/plain)
2007-11-10 18:24 UTC, Garth Webb
Details

Description Garth Webb 2007-11-10 18:24:15 UTC
Created attachment 4319 [details]
LocalSettings.php file

I just upgraded from 1.8.0 to 1.11.0 and the '[edit]' links on every page were replaced by '<editsection-brackets>'.  From what I've read this seems to be some kind of localization issue, but I have not changed anything.

To upgrade, I unpacked the new version, copied over my LocalSettings.php and AdminSettings.php files to the new version's directory and ran the update.php in maintenance.  After that everything seems to work fine, and I can edit pages via the main edit tab, but these [edit] links no longer appear properly.

I also tried creating a fresh LocalSetting.php file by running the config/index.php script from the browser.  After this I could still see all my old data, but I still didn't have proper [edit] links.

I've attached my LocalSettings.php file.
Comment 1 Roan Kattouw 2007-11-11 20:19:40 UTC
Very likely, MediaWiki:editsection-brackets exists and is blank. Delete it or set its content to '[edit]' (or whatever else you want to show up there).
Comment 2 Garth Webb 2007-11-11 20:41:05 UTC
The problem wasn't just that it didn't say '[edit]', but it (In reply to comment #1)
> Very likely, MediaWiki:editsection-brackets exists and is blank. Delete it or
> set its content to '[edit]' (or whatever else you want to show up there).

The problem wasn't just that it didn't say '[edit]', but that the text that was there wasn't a link to anything.  It was just plain text.

In any case, this problems seems to have resolved itself, though I don't know how.  I restarted memcached several times and still had this problem before, so it wasn't a cached value there.  I didn't change anything else either.  I just came back about 6 hours later and it was OK.

I'll leave the bug status as is in case anybody thinks this is worth looking into.  My immediate problem is resolved however.
Comment 3 Jon V. 2007-12-04 19:59:51 UTC
had a similar problem during v1.10 to v1.11 upgrade.  Tried the /maintenance/language/rebuildLanguage.php script.  That did it for me.
Comment 4 Chad H. 2010-05-07 15:11:05 UTC
I'm going to mark this as WORKSFORME. Don't see any underlying reason why this has happened, and we haven't heard any similar complaints in the 2.5 years since this was looked at last. Feel free to reopen if anyone can replicate on any recent copy of Mediawiki.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links