Last modified: 2011-01-25 01:42:08 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 11645 - Wikimedia should migrate to new user rights assignment scheme
Wikimedia should migrate to new user rights assignment scheme
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Product: Wikimedia
Classification: Unclassified
Site requests (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Normal enhancement with 4 votes (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
: shell
Depends on:
Blocks: 12116
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-10-13 10:04 UTC by Victor Vasiliev
Modified: 2011-01-25 01:42 UTC (History)
7 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Victor Vasiliev 2007-10-13 10:04:37 UTC
Wikimedia should use new scheme ($wgAddGroups and $wgRemoveGroups) instead of MakeSysop and MakeBot.  It will allow to use more extensible method of managing user rights. Here's an example of possible config for InitialiseSettings.php ( based on http://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/InitialiseSettings.php.html ):

'groupOverrides2' => array(
    'default' => array(
        'sysop' => array( 'importupload' => false ),
        // 'rollback' => array( 'rollback' => true, ),
        'import' => array( 'importupload' => true, 'import' => true ),
        'user' => array( 'reupload-shared' => false, 'reupload' => false ),
        'autoconfirmed' => array( 'reupload' => true, 'move' => true ),
        'bureaucrat' => array( 'makesysop' => false, 'userrights' => true ),

        # So that I can rename users with more than 6800 edits -- TS
        'developer' => array( 'siteadmin' => true ),
    ),
),

'wgAddGroup' => array(
    'default' => array(
        'bureaucrat' => array( 'sysop', 'bureaucrat', 'bot' ),
    ),
),

'wgRemoveGroup' => array(
    'default' => array(
        'bureaucrat' => array( 'bot' ),
    ),
),
Comment 1 Casey Brown 2007-10-13 12:12:32 UTC
This should probably be proposed on Wikitech-l (http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l).
Comment 2 JeLuF 2007-10-15 20:21:18 UTC
This can be done when there's a community request needing this. 
As this is not the case right now => CLOSED.
Comment 3 Casey Brown 2007-10-15 20:25:13 UTC
There *is* a community requesting it; bug 11645.
Comment 4 Casey Brown 2007-10-15 20:26:08 UTC
er, bug 10727.
Comment 5 Andrew Garrett 2007-11-26 04:44:59 UTC
Also, there are issues relating to stewards (cross-project user-rights changes require the use of the makesysop extension). Of course, this addgroups/removegroups code could easily be merged into the makesysop extension, or the makesysop extension merged into userrights code.
Comment 6 Victor Vasiliev 2007-11-26 04:54:31 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> Also, there are issues relating to stewards (cross-project user-rights changes
> require the use of the makesysop extension). Of course, this
> addgroups/removegroups code could easily be merged into the makesysop
> extension, or the makesysop extension merged into userrights code.
> 

Yes, I know. Stewards should have (makesysop = true; userrights = true), so they would be able to use Special:Makesysop for crosswiki. Bureaucrats should have (makesysop = false; userrights = true), so they wouldn't be able to use Special:Makesysop and crosswiki, but they would be able to use Special:Userrights
Comment 7 Random832 2007-12-18 16:47:23 UTC
Note that enwiki consensus also seems to be rapidly heading towards something that requires this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_talk:Rollback_for_non-administrators_proposal
Comment 8 Victor Vasiliev 2007-12-24 14:06:45 UTC
New version per r28650 :
1. Uninstall MakeSysop (keep MakeBot for logs)
2. Add following code to InitialiseSettings.php:
'groupOverrides2' => array(
    'default' => array(
        'sysop' => array( 'importupload' => false ),
        // 'rollback' => array( 'rollback' => true, ),
        'import' => array( 'importupload' => true, 'import' => true ),
        'user' => array( 'reupload-shared' => false, 'reupload' => false ),
        'autoconfirmed' => array( 'reupload' => true, 'move' => true ),
        'steward' => array( 'userrights' => true, 'userrights-interwiki' => true ),

        # So that I can rename users with more than 6800 edits -- TS
        'developer' => array( 'siteadmin' => true ),
    ),
),

'wgAddGroup' => array(
    'default' => array(
        'bureaucrat' => array( 'sysop', 'bureaucrat', 'bot' ),
    ),
),

'wgRemoveGroup' => array(
    'default' => array(
        'bureaucrat' => array( 'bot' ),
    ),
),
Comment 9 Brion Vibber 2007-12-28 00:12:32 UTC
Special:Makesysop and Special:Makebot remain, but I've enabled the restricted mode on Special:Userrights for bureaucrats.

The user interface is horrible in this mode, I'd like to see it improved before we force people to use it.
Comment 10 Larry Pieniazek 2007-12-31 17:34:41 UTC
On Commons, Special:Makesysop just now returned the error page that you get when the wiki is sick. I tried it a few times, checked by doing a null edit to another page that the wiki wasn't sick, and then gave up and used Special:Userrights instead to promote a new admin. Is it supposed to be turned off already? No problem if it is, but that leads to my next question...

I have a question (and I would be glad of a place to ask this, see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Babel#Streamlined_user_rights_management ) about the texts. On commons, we added a lot of stuff to Makesysoptext. (see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Makesysoptext ) This page stays visible from the very start of the makesysop process to the end. We put a lot of reference material and wiki specific housekeeping info (what lists to add people to, reminder to leave a welcome message, etc) on it. It has language specific subpages of course. What is the corresponding page for userrights? I'd like to, on Commons, make similar modifications to the page that you will see while manipulating userrights. Someone suggested it was MediaWiki:Userrights-groupshelp but my testing suggests that page is not visible from the start to the finish of the userrights manipulation process, it's only visible at one certain point. Thanks for any insight...
Comment 11 Rotem Liss 2007-12-31 19:09:38 UTC
(In reply to comment #10)
> On Commons, Special:Makesysop just now returned the error page that you get
> when the wiki is sick. I tried it a few times, checked by doing a null edit to
> another page that the wiki wasn't sick, and then gave up and used
> Special:Userrights instead to promote a new admin. Is it supposed to be turned
> off already? No problem if it is, but that leads to my next question...
> 

It seems to be fixed in r29092; the sites just have to be updated.

> I have a question (and I would be glad of a place to ask this, see
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Babel#Streamlined_user_rights_management )
> about the texts. On commons, we added a lot of stuff to Makesysoptext. (see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Makesysoptext ) This page stays
> visible from the very start of the makesysop process to the end. We put a lot
> of reference material and wiki specific housekeeping info (what lists to add
> people to, reminder to leave a welcome message, etc) on it. It has language
> specific subpages of course. What is the corresponding page for userrights? I'd
> like to, on Commons, make similar modifications to the page that you will see
> while manipulating userrights. Someone suggested it was
> MediaWiki:Userrights-groupshelp but my testing suggests that page is not
> visible from the start to the finish of the userrights manipulation process,
> it's only visible at one certain point. Thanks for any insight...

This is MediaWiki:Userrights-summary.
Comment 12 Larry Pieniazek 2007-12-31 23:05:41 UTC
MediaWiki:Userrights-summary appears to be only the heading because whatever is placed there is displayed in what looks like the H1 font, and no wikimarkup or html tags are honored. [[MediaWiki:Makesysoptext]] honors wikimarkup and html markup. Is there perhaps another page as well as that one? Commons 'crats can see what I mean by comparing  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Userrights to what is displayed at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Userrights. (or I can provide screenshots) LMK if this should be a new bug? or discussed elsewhere, I'm not keen on polluting this bug with discussion. I think it's important to be able to customise the interface the same way the makesysop one was.... thanks!
Comment 13 Larry Pieniazek 2007-12-31 23:54:45 UTC
scratch that last comment, I was not editing the right page. All is fine.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links