Last modified: 2014-05-15 08:29:29 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 11456 - Add [[Special:History/Page]] and [[Special:Edit/Page]] as functional internal wiki links
Add [[Special:History/Page]] and [[Special:Edit/Page]] as functional internal...
Status: NEW
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Special pages (Other open bugs)
1.23.0
All All
: Low enhancement with 6 votes (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
:
: 12445 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-09-26 08:30 UTC by Nick Jenkins
Modified: 2014-05-15 08:29 UTC (History)
14 users (show)

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments

Description Nick Jenkins 2007-09-26 08:30:58 UTC
If we allow [[Special:WhatLinksHere/Main Page|incoming links]] 
and [[Special:Movepage/Main Page|moving]]
and [[Special:Recentchangeslinked/Main Page|related changes]]
using special page internal wiki links,
then can we please also have [[Special:History/Main Page|history]] 
and [[Special:Edit/Main Page|editing]], because:
* on the Wikipedia, everyone can check history, and everyone can edit (most pre-existing pages), but not everyone can move (e.g. anons)
* for greater completeness
* I trust internal links more than I trust external links, and at the moment I think people have no choice but to use external links for these things
* it feels right ;-)
Comment 1 Rob Church 2007-09-26 10:17:54 UTC
I'm not convinced that this is needed; we have, e.g. [{{fullurl:Page|action=edit}} edit].
Comment 2 Filip Maljkovic [Dungodung] 2007-09-29 13:08:10 UTC
Yes, but that's not an internal link (duh!)
I completely agree with Nick here. At least let the Special:Edit/Main_Page be alias to index.php?title=Main_Page&action=edit.
Comment 3 Danny B. 2007-10-26 00:00:39 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> I'm not convinced that this is needed; we have, e.g.
> [{{fullurl:Page|action=edit}} edit].

Most of the people don't know this syntax and use the full URL copied from the browser's address line instead. Besides, as been said in comment #2, it's rendered as an external link although it's in fact internal.
Comment 4 Danny B. 2007-11-03 15:47:29 UTC
Another benefit:

Currently, all edit/history links are also shown in Special:Linksearch which makes hard to find direct URLs to replace them by interwiki. Having edit/history accessible via internal links, this list would be much much smaller.
Comment 5 Danny B. 2007-11-06 19:37:37 UTC
[[Special:Purge/page]] would be handy as well...
Comment 6 Danny B. 2007-11-17 14:53:56 UTC
bug 6908 related
Comment 7 Raimond Spekking 2007-12-29 15:13:26 UTC
*** Bug 12445 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 8 Aryeh Gregor (not reading bugmail, please e-mail directly) 2007-12-30 02:18:48 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> [[Special:Purge/page]] would be handy as well...

I guess also Special:Delete, Special:Raw.  Probably most of these would be special pages, if special pages were part of the software from the start.  If we were going to do this, should we make them the default links for these actions, and have action=edit redirect?  Probably too breaking.

A (dis)advantage to consider would be that practically all URLs generated could then be prettified.  Currently we use a simple hack to stop spiders from viewing anything in /w, for instance, which would no longer work reliably if people linked to Special:Edit (etc.) a lot.
Comment 9 Roan Kattouw 2007-12-30 11:30:13 UTC
(In reply to comment #8)
> (In reply to comment #5)
> > [[Special:Purge/page]] would be handy as well...
> 
> I guess also Special:Delete, Special:Raw.  Probably most of these would be
> special pages, if special pages were part of the software from the start.  If
> we were going to do this, should we make them the default links for these
> actions, and have action=edit redirect?  Probably too breaking.
I'd say we make Special:Edit redirect to action=edit for backwards compatibility. It would also be easier to implement, I think.

> A (dis)advantage to consider would be that practically all URLs generated could
> then be prettified.  Currently we use a simple hack to stop spiders from
> viewing anything in /w, for instance, which would no longer work reliably if
> people linked to Special:Edit (etc.) a lot.
Would that still apply if Special:Edit just 302'ed to /w/index.php?action=edit ?
Comment 10 Jelte (WebBoy) 2007-12-31 11:27:14 UTC
(In reply to comment #8)
> (In reply to comment #5)
> > [[Special:Purge/page]] would be handy as well...
> 
> I guess also Special:Delete, Special:Raw.

Maybe it should be generalized to [[Special:Action/edit/Page]], [[Special:Action/purge/Page]], etc.?
Comment 11 Aryeh Gregor (not reading bugmail, please e-mail directly) 2007-12-31 17:16:00 UTC
(In reply to comment #9)
> Would that still apply if Special:Edit just 302'ed to /w/index.php?action=edit
> ?

I don't know.

(In reply to comment #10)
> Maybe it should be generalized to [[Special:Action/edit/Page]],
> [[Special:Action/purge/Page]], etc.?

I don't like that, it's inconsistent.  Nothing unifies the actions in question logically.  We would have [[Special:Action/delete]] but [[Special:Undelete]].  Better to be consistent.  Bug 10457 would be good to fix first, though.
Comment 12 Gerrit Notification Bot 2013-11-18 23:31:01 UTC
Change 96170 had a related patch set uploaded by Legoktm:
Add Special:Edit and Special:History which redirect to their action equivalents

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/96170
Comment 13 MZMcBride 2013-11-19 02:49:22 UTC
(In reply to comment #12)
> Change 96170 had a related patch set uploaded by Legoktm:
> Add Special:Edit and Special:History which redirect to their action
> equivalents
> 
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/96170

This is probably controversial. Some people have strong views about whether we should move toward Special pages or ?action= URLs. And for both options, there are differing views about implementation: for example, Special:Action/edit/page_title or wiki.org/edit/page_title.

Plus we now have complicating factors like Wikidata and VisualEditor and Flow to consider, where an "edit" means something almost entirely different.
Comment 14 Kunal Mehta (Legoktm) 2013-11-19 03:11:38 UTC
(In reply to comment #13)

> This is probably controversial. Some people have strong views about whether
> we
> should move toward Special pages or ?action= URLs. And for both options,
> there
> are differing views about implementation: for example,
> Special:Action/edit/page_title or wiki.org/edit/page_title.

This patch just adds in redirects, so users still go to ?action=edit. Even if Special:Action/edit/Foo became the eventual destination, you would want Special:Edit/Foo to end up there.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Drop_actions_in_favour_of_page_views_and_special_pages seems rather dead.

I even named the classes "SpecialEditRedirect" instead of "SpecialEdit" in case we decide to make it a special page in the future.

> Plus we now have complicating factors like Wikidata and VisualEditor and Flow
> to consider, where an "edit" means something almost entirely different.

True. I think those are edge cases though, and don't make the special pages less useful for wikis/pages not using Wikibase/Flow.

VE is interesting because some users go to ?veaction=edit instead of ?action=edit. I'm not sure there's an easy way to handle this, will think about it.
Comment 15 Krinkle 2014-01-28 00:35:29 UTC
I agree. As confusing as it is that some actions are special pages and other actions are WikiPage Actions, at least we don't have one redirecting to the other.

I don't think just adding these redirects will achieve any gain other than it being slightly easier to type in wikitext. As for external links, urls should be stable enough. There's already been talk about phasing out interwiki prefixes in favour of external links (something I would support).

(In reply to comment #14)
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/
> Drop_actions_in_favour_of_page_views_and_special_pages
> seems rather dead.
> 

True, but I think if we're spending any more time on this, let's spend it on that instead.


(In reply to comment #14)
> VE is interesting because some users go to ?veaction=edit instead of
> ?action=edit. I'm not sure there's an easy way to handle this, will think
> about
> it.

I think we should have something like ?editor, which would default based on preference. So linking to action=edit would show the default editor for you. And editor=visualeditor, editor=wikieditor or editor=classic would show one of VisualEditor HTML editor, WikiEditor wikitext editor or classic toolbar wikitext editor respectively. And most links should link to action=edit without an editor parameter, thus showing whatever the canonical default is for the current user or wiki.
Comment 16 Gerrit Notification Bot 2014-04-13 03:29:36 UTC
Change 96170 abandoned by Legoktm:
Add Special:Edit and Special:History which redirect to their action equivalents

Reason:
Needs work, also not sure this is a good idea anymore.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/96170

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links