Last modified: 2004-12-07 22:28:07 UTC

Wikimedia Bugzilla is closed!

Wikimedia has migrated from Bugzilla to Phabricator. Bug reports should be created and updated in Wikimedia Phabricator instead. Please create an account in Phabricator and add your Bugzilla email address to it.
Wikimedia Bugzilla is read-only. If you try to edit or create any bug report in Bugzilla you will be shown an intentional error message.
In order to access the Phabricator task corresponding to a Bugzilla report, just remove "static-" from its URL.
You could still run searches in Bugzilla or access your list of votes but bug reports will obviously not be up-to-date in Bugzilla.
Bug 1004 - Update to Names.php concerning Norwegian language
Update to Names.php concerning Norwegian language
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Product: MediaWiki
Classification: Unclassified
Internationalization (Other open bugs)
unspecified
All All
: Normal normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody - You can work on this!
http://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedi...
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-12-04 21:17 UTC by Guttorm Flatabø
Modified: 2004-12-07 22:28 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Web browser: ---
Mobile Platform: ---
Assignee Huggle Beta Tester: ---


Attachments
Updated Names.php from rev. 1.1.2.5.2.10 (1_3A branch) (9.17 KB, application/octet-stream)
2004-12-07 22:06 UTC, Guttorm Flatabø
Details
Updated Names.php from rev. 1.16.2.2 (1_4 and MAIN branches) (9.22 KB, application/octet-stream)
2004-12-07 22:13 UTC, Guttorm Flatabø
Details

Description Guttorm Flatabø 2004-12-04 21:17:57 UTC
This bug comes as a result of the dicussion about the no.wikipedia use of the
"no" but does not concern or cross the no.wikipedia community in particular
(hard to get that right:).

As of Names.php rev. 1.16.2.1 the norwegian languages are written like this:

'nb' => 'Bokmål',		# Norwegian (Bokmal)
'nn' => 'Nynorsk'	,	# (Norwegian) Nynorsk
'no' => 'Norsk',		# Norwegian

to reflect the actual language situation, community consensus and proper
norwegian grammar they should be changed to:

'nb' => 'norsk (bokmål)',		# Norwegian (Bokmal)
'nn' => 'norsk (nynorsk)',      	# Norwegian (Nynorsk)
'no' => 'norsk',	        	# Norwegian

because language names are not capitalized in norwegian, and because Nynorsk is
just as norwegian as Bokmal.

This has been discussed/mentioned on the mailinglist:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc/18576>
On the nn.wikipedia:
<http://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia-diskusjon:Wikipedia_p%C3%A5_nynorsk>
and has not been opposed by the no.wikipedia community (I'm not asking for the
no --> nb move here).
"Norwegian Nynorsk" is also used in the ISO 639 standard
<http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html#mn>
Comment 1 Guttorm Flatabø 2004-12-05 18:01:19 UTC
This should be applied to all branches.
Comment 2 JeLuF 2004-12-05 22:14:42 UTC
Fixed in all CVS branches and on the site.
Comment 3 Guttorm Flatabø 2004-12-06 09:38:19 UTC
I have upset some people with the change from "Norsk" to "norsk". If anyone
receive flak for this please send it to me and I will hopefully be able to
settle the issue.

I should note that when I wrote "does not concern or cross the no.wikipedia
community in particular" I wasn't really thinking about the above mentioned
change, because I hadn't been considering it for very long.

This is now being discussed here:
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brukerdiskusjon:Wolfram#Norsk_--.3E_norsk:_OK.3F

I have also tried to make a meta page that aim to make som kind of a standard
for these language names:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Case_of_language_links
Comment 4 Guttorm Flatabø 2004-12-06 21:24:18 UTC
So, there has almost only been opposition against the decapitalization and I
don't think its worth working against status quo on such a small thing.
Additionally the "nb" entry was duplicated when fixinf this bug, therefore I'm
reopening it so that:

1. In revision 1.1.2.5.10 (REL1_3A) the 'nb' line appears twice. Here the first
appearance should replace the second.
2. All mentioned language names should have their first letter capitalized (but
only the first).

The result should be:
'nb' => 'Norsk (bokm&aring;l)',		# Norwegian (Bokmal)
'nn' => 'Norsk (nynorsk)',      	# Norwegian (Nynorsk)
'no' => 'Norsk',	        	# Norwegian

I'm really sorry about this small messup, hopefully this is the end of it for
some time.
Comment 5 Guttorm Flatabø 2004-12-07 22:06:58 UTC
Created attachment 163 [details]
Updated Names.php from rev. 1.1.2.5.2.10 (1_3A branch)

I have edited Names.php rev. 1.1.2.5.2.10 (1_3A branch) to fix this bug. I have
also done additinal cosmetic changes (changed some comments), removed
duplicates, alphabetized and removed the last comma. Please do a diff to check.
Comment 6 Guttorm Flatabø 2004-12-07 22:13:31 UTC
Created attachment 164 [details]
Updated Names.php from rev. 1.16.2.2 (1_4 and MAIN branches)

I have edited Names.php rev. 1.16.2.2 (1_4 and MAIN branches, as far as I can
see) to fix this bug. I have also done additinal cosmetic changes (changed some
comments), removed duplicates, alphabetized and removed the last comma. Please
do a diff to check.
Comment 7 JeLuF 2004-12-07 22:28:07 UTC
Committed to four branches. Deployed to wikipedia.org

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Navigation
Links